Smoking a turkey.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dravery

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Seattle, Washington
I've never smoked a turkey before, and now that I look, I can already see I should have brined it.  

The package says "all natural, up to 6% water retained from processing"  I have no idea what that means, but I suspect it means no brine.  

I put on my nitrile examination gloves and tore out the gonad and the other bit.  I stuffed the bird with two cans of artichokes and several whole cloves of garlic, some Rainier, and a whole onion to plug up the bird's funny business.  Then I rubbed the bird with some olive oil (there's only one kind that matters, so I'm not going to bother specifying) and herbs.

Finally I added a bit of salami barding, just to keep the moisture balanced.

Like I said though, I didn't brine.  Should I just grab a shovel and bury it before anyone tries to eat it?

I like brining whole birds but I have done many fine turkeys with nothing more than a dry rub.  I wouldn't pay much attention to that "solution" on the package.  When I started brining I thought that solution would interfere with it so I did two cheap chickens in an experiment (one soaked in ice water for a few hours first and the other not) used the same brine on both and I couldn't tell any difference between them after they were cooked.

Reactions: dravery
I didnt brine my turkey i did last week and it turned out fine.

bdd6c866_smtrk9.jpg

84a79203_smtrk12.jpg

Reactions: dravery
I like to brine birds miself because It's a good way to get some flavor deep into the meat.  ...but it's not required and I am sure you'll have a great meal.  The best part about this grand experiment of ours is we get to eat our mistakes.

Last edited:
Do you use a bucket or what?  How long to you brine for.  Sodium Nitrate or Sodium Nitrite?  Does the curing receptacle need to be covered?

Use a food grade bucket with a lid if possible. Google "tip's slaughterhouse brine" or try it in the search engine here on smf. There's no nitrite or nitrate in it. I use it several times a week when I rotisserie my whole chickens. Good stuff!

Do you use a bucket or what?  How long to you brine for.  Sodium Nitrate or Sodium Nitrite?  Does the curing receptacle need to be covered?
DR, morning....  Here is a turkey leg I brined in salt and cure #1 and smoked.....  The cure makes it pink, the salt keeps it moist...  Some folks wouldn't eat pink turkey....  Dave

640x480px-LL-e0ac4f07_turkeylegs4.jpeg

I have not tried using cure in my poultry brines yet.  I use a NSF food-grade 5-gal. bucket to hold enough for a turkey and standard brines are for every gallon of water: 1 cup sugar, 1 cup kosher salt, plus whatever you want to flavor it with (in my experience you can go pretty crazy on flavors and will not overdo your finished cooked product).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky