Smoking a Turkey in Electric Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

jiju1943

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
East Tennessee
When I smoke butts and ribs I always put 5 or 6 charcoal briquets in my electric smoker to get a good smoke ring. While smoking a turkey do I still use the briquets or not. I have smoked turkey before but I can't remember if I used the briquets. Also do any of you use a small amount of water under the turkey to help with moisture?

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
That is your choice. The Briquettes will add a bit of flavor but because turkey does not have a lot of Myoglobin, stuff the makes meat Red, there is not an intensely visible smoke ring. I don't use water in my MES unless I am doing a long cook like a Butt...JJ

oldschoolbbq

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Jul 16, 2008
NW Ohio - outside Toledo
Jiju. Have you got an AMNPS
icon_question.gif
 Use it and infuse some flavor into the meat. If you don't have one, PM Todd and order one , you will not be sorry.

Stan

jiju1943

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
East Tennessee
No, I don't have an AMNPS, I do have one of the cast iron slotted boxes that I use saw dust in for smoke, it works well. Thanks for asking.

Hot Threads

AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.