Smoking a turkey breast tomorrow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcjcm

Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
Hello all. I will be attempting my first turkey breast tomorrow and I wanted to see if anyone has any advice. I will be using a 40 inch vertical propane smoker and I will be smoking a 9 pound breast. I butterflied the breast Friday morning and started the dry brine at the same time. I am just using a simple mix of salt, brown sugar, pepper, onion, garlic powder and baking soda.

What I am wondering about are the following :
1. Water in the smoker or no?
2. I am thinking about a temp. Of around 250 degrees. Too low or high?

Any other tips or advice welcome.

Thanks!

No water needed and 250 is fine. Smoke to an IT of 155-160 and rest...JJ

Reactions: jcjcm
Thanks for the advice. I have to say it turned out pretty well. The meat was nice and moist with a beautiful smoke band. I think I will adjust the brine a bit as it was a tad too salty for me, but overall very happy! Glad I came across this forum.

When you buy your bird try and buy a non-enhanced one. Read the packaging. Most birds you buy are injected with a salt brine and sometimes other things. If your bird is enhanced, I wouldn't bother brining. Keep in mind that there's no need to brine a bird to end up with the meat being moist. As long as you don't over cook the bird you will be fine. If you are looking to enhance the flavor brine away.

For crispy skin higher temp smokes work best 325 pit temp. Also air drying the skin in the fridge will help 8 hours uncovered on a drying rack. You can go up to 24 hours.

Reactions: jcjcm
Thanks for the tips! I'm sure now that the enhanced bird was why it was too salty. I'll try to find a non enhanced bird neXT time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky