Smoking a Turkey advice.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tulkas13

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 11, 2020
Gonna be smoking 2 turkeys 12 pounds almost 13 pounds. Using a 22 inch smokey mountain smoker. Bout how long n temp? 1 site I read said 2 1/2 to 3 hours at 350. Some sites said 225 for longer I forget how much tho. Thanks in advance

Roughly 12 to 15 minutes a pound at 350°F. At 225, you are looking at 25 minutes per but the skin will not crisp and you will have to Crisp the Skin on a Grill or 425 oven...JJ

Reactions: JC in GB
I thought so but just trying to be overly cautious on this. I'm smoking this Turkey for a friends baby shower. So its gotta be perfect! Lol

Reactions: JC in GB
If it must be perfect you will want to use a thermo-probe to check to see if it is done.

I like my turkey brought up to 165F. Moist, juicy, tender, delicious.....

Also, if you are smoking it and not roasting it, I would recommend going at a pit temp of 250F

Switch rack positions every couple hours.

My $0.02

JC :emoji_cat:

Guys have you covered, but as devil's advocate, smoked food for baby shower would be no go unless this is a shower for men. We call them diaper parties here.

Word of caution. Depending on how your setting up your WSM. Your top rack may be hotter then your bottom rack, or visa-versa.

Water in pan = Top grate hotter(15 to 25*)
No Water = Bottom rack will be hotter(about the same)

Chris

Guys have you covered, but as devil's advocate, smoked food for baby shower would be no go unless this is a shower for men. We call them diaper parties here.
I was asked by the person throwing it. Not sure if the dad will be there or not. But honestly idc I love smoking meats lol

Reactions: zwiller
Word of caution. Depending on how your setting up your WSM. Your top rack may be hotter then your bottom rack, or visa-versa.

Water in pan = Top grate hotter(15 to 25*)
No Water = Bottom rack will be hotter(about the same)

Chris
I bought a probe. N forgot it outside took the part with the battery in it inside n left the probe inside the grill but now I cant find the device part ggrrr lol

Going to throw out a completely different approach, don't know if you have the capability but something to consider. Poultry skin and smokers have always been the tough spot. I finally came to the conclusion to go another way. I use the rotisserie in my gas grill with a tray of pellets for the smoke. Both the bird and tray are placed in the center with the underlying burner turned off. Bird always comes out perfectly smoked, with fantastic crispy skin and very moist meat.

Going to throw out a completely different approach, don't know if you have the capability but something to consider. Poultry skin and smokers have always been the tough spot. I finally came to the conclusion to go another way. I use the rotisserie in my gas grill with a tray of pellets for the smoke. Both the bird and tray are placed in the center with the underlying burner turned off. Bird always comes out perfectly smoked, with fantastic crispy skin and very moist meat.
+1 Schlotz.

I do exactly this same thing. I do chickens all the time this way.

My old Weber Genesis grill lets a lot of air go through, so a smoke tray in the grill sometimes doesn't give enough smoke. So, to add more smoke, I not only use the chip tray inside the grill enclosure, but also fill up my AMNPS and put it down in the tray below the grill. I wrote about my technique here:

Rotisserie Smoked Chicken - Using All My Toys At Once

FWIW, I always spatchcock turkeys ... presentation maybe not as impressive, but tend to have better luck getting the dark meat IT up high enough (175-180) without the breasts overcooking (160-ish)

Bonus that I always use the backbone for stock and turkey soup

I part turkeys out. Thighs get left on the drum and gets Boned out and tied. The thigh/leg goes in for 1 hour then I add the breast. Both come out together. Bones and wings get Roasted then turned into stock for Dressing and gravy. I base the timing on the breast weight at 350. I cook my breasts to 155 with a rest. The temp rises to the 160's...JJ

I part turkeys out. Thighs get left on the drum and gets Boned out and tied. The thigh/leg goes in for 1 hour then I add the breast. Both come out together. Bones and wings get Roasted then turned into stock for Dressing and gravy. I base the timing on the breast weight at 350. I cook my breasts to 155 with a rest. The temp rises to the 160's...JJ

She 2ants the turkey smoked whole. Which I dont blame her at all. Just really hoping I can get it done by 2pm lol

Thanks! I just hope I can get it done in time. Soo nervous lol

This is the first year in decades I haven't roasted, grilled, or smoked 4-6 turkeys a year. I generally went for 16-23 lb'ers. Glad I skipped this year to fill my freezer with other things.

Get your WSM as hot as you can, all vents full open, and make sure you have TBS before you load the birds, even if you have to wait an hour or more.

The chamber temp will fall when you load the birds, but the fire is still blazing hot. The chamber temp will rise as the birds heat up. Let it ride.

Turn your breasts away from the top vent. It is hotter under the vent due to airflow and the dark meat will be pointed toward the hotter section. Shoot for 160-165F in the breast, 175F in the thigh.

Your bottom grate will run a bit cooler than the top grate, so the bottom bird may need a little more time. Not a problem.

I never basted my birds. Load and forget. They know what to do. AND don't freak if they finish faster or slower than expected. Turkeys are clever birds and can surprise you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky