Smoking a Turkey advice.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mmmm I'm still new using this type of smoker. How exactly would I get tbs?
Last 2 times I used it I filled the bottom with coals n buried chunks of wood in the coals. N spread the hot coals from the chimney on top of it

Yep, that'll work. It's what I do in my WSM. The smoke starts out blue as the cold charcoal heats up, then will get kind of gray, then will start to thin and turn blue. That's when you load the meat.

Not all smoke is good smoke. Tbs is good smoke. Gray, white, black smoke has ash and unburned particulates. It will turn your turkey black. Tbs will turn the skin a nice reddish brown. It can even disappear, but a whiff of your hand thru the exhaust will tell you there is still flavorful smoke there.

Here is a pork butt I did few weeks back. Definitly didnt have black smoke. I'm not sure if it was gray or white tbh. It was raining pretty badly lol

Attachments

• 20200522_141657.jpg
    20200522_141657.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 13
Looks Good. White/Black Smoke deposits Creosote on meat. The flavor is acrid, foul and causes an unpleasant numbness on your lips and tingling in your mouth. YUK! You would know if this was the case. I would suspect your smoke was just fine. It is common to get White/Black Smoke when you first add wood. It burns inefficiently and makes bad tasting smoke. If your fire is hot enough, a good bed of red coals, the wood will start to burn/smoke cleanly, within a few minutes, the result being the desired Thin Blue Smoke. A pleasant smelling thin gray smoke is ok as well...JJ

Looks Good. White/Black Smoke deposits Creosote on meat. The flavor is acrid, foul and causes an unpleasant numbness on your lips and tingling in your mouth. YUK! You would know if this was the case. I would suspect your smoke was just fine. It is common to get White/Black Smoke when you first add wood. It burns inefficiently and makes bad tasting smoke. If your fire is hot enough, a good bed of red coals, the wood will start to burn/smoke cleanly, within a few minutes, the result being the desired Thin Blue Smoke. A pleasant smelling thin gray smoke is ok as well...JJ
Definitly nothing I've experienced before. Even when I was smoking on my char griller using soaked wood. But so far my smoker I'm using now been using dry wood buried into the coals then putting hot coals on top n juat letting it all slowly burn. Worked so far lol. Just means Saturday to make sure it's done by 2pm. Probabaly gonna st you rot the chimney at 8 probably have it on by 830ish :-)

8:30 to 1:30 with a rest is 5 hours or about 23 minutes per pound. At 225°F a 13 pound Bird goes 25-30 minutes per pound or about 6.5 hours. You probably won't make it at 225. If you can, consistently, get your smoker to run 275°F or higher, your Turkeys will be done on time or early. If more than 30 minutes early, wrapping the birds in foil and placing them in a cooler, will hold them hot for 3 hours or so. An Oven set at 150°F, will hold them hot until you are ready to eat...JJ

Reactions: JC in GB
8:30 to 1:30 with a rest is 5 hours or about 23 minutes per pound. At 225°F a 13 pound Bird goes 25-30 minutes per pound or about 6.5 hours. You probably won't make it at 225. If you can, consistently, get your smoker to run 275°F or higher, your Turkeys will be done on time or early. If more than 30 minutes early, wrapping the birds in foil and placing them in a cooler, will hold them hot for 3 hours or so. An Oven set at 150°F, will hold them hot until you are ready to eat...JJ
Chef Jimmy we think alike was doing the same math n all in my head lol. Thank bud and thanks n thanks noboundares

Put it on at 830. Got to temp at 1215. Got it in oven at 150 for bout 15. Then rest till it's about time for the baby shower. I'll post pics here in a few

That looks great! I always use a cheap square charcoal grill for my turkeys. Put a tin pan under the turkey and charcoal on the outsides for indirect heat, a 13lb takes about 2 and a half to 3 hours. Rest for a hour and serve.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky