Smoking a Pork Tenderloin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbonejack

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
I'm thinking about smoking a pork tenderloin (PT) this coming weekend.  I've never actually ate PT.

Jeff's book doesn't have smoking recipes for PT, and there's not a lot of threads on smoking PT here.

Is PT a good candidate for smoking, or is it more of a grill (direct heat) item?

Thanks in advance.

I like to do mine indirect and using a lower pit temp. 180-200.

Pork tenderloin cooks quick so the lower pit temp allows for more smoke to get to the meat before its done. Apple, cherry, peach, pecan or mixtures of these woods are all good candidates for wood to use.

Cook the PT to an IT of 145. Pull it from the smoker wrap in foul and rest 30-45 minutes before slicing to serve. Do not over cook!

It was not in the recipe, but I would suggest folding over 2" of the small Tail and tying it, after the Rub. This give more uniform cooking and won't overcook and dry the thin meat...JJ

Quote:

It was not in the recipe, but I would suggest folding over 2" of the small Tail and tying it, after the Rub. This give more uniform cooking and won't overcook and dry the thin meat...JJ
Thanks Jimmy.

I just went to Costco and looked at their pork tenderloins.  They come 2 in a pack, for about $20.

I also saw some really long, thick, whole pork loins.  Being new to smoking, I thought that was the "tenderloin", until I looked around some more and saw the real tenderloins.  But I may get a whole loin sometime and cut it into a roast and chops.

I'm really looking forward to smoking this weekend.  I'll make a thread and post pics.

A whole loin is really the way to go, if you want to smoke it.

For some reason they are very cheap to buy now and you have so many options.

Cut it into 3 or 4 pieces.

You can make Canadian bacon, stuff it & make Cordon Bleu, or just smoke it with a little pork rub.

Al

Last edited:

A whole loin is really the way to go, if you want to smoke it.

For some reason they are very cheap to buy now and you have so many options.

Cut it into 3 or 4 pieces.

You can make Canadian bacon, stuff it & make Cordon Bleu, or just smoke it with a little pork rub.

Al
Al, if I smoke the whole loin at once (cut in half), would it all be at peak readiness at a 145 degree IT?  Or are different parts at peak readiness at different temps?

Reactions: slider n copa
I am going to smoke a whole pork tenderloin wondering if the fat Should be down or up?
There rarely is any fat on a Pork Tenderloin...See Below. Pork LOINS, the muscle that runs most of both sides of the Spine, does often come with a thin Fat Cap, 1/4", and can be left on or removed. I smoke or roast Fat Up...JJ

Pork Tenderloin. Usually 2 to a pack and weigh 2-3 pounds total. They are in grocery stores at $3.50/Lb or less...The pic is enlarged but they are no more than 12" long and 3" thick, the size of a small childs arm. They have a destinct Thick end and thin small Tail that will over cook if not Tied...

srf-pork-tenderloin_5.jpg

Pork Loins...Either by the Portion, 3-4Lbs or Whole 10Lbs, have some fat from the back of the pig...These are uniform and 4 to 6" wide and 8" long for portions and 18 to 24 " long for Whole loins...

petitebonelessporkloin.jpg

Last edited:

Quote:

Thanks Jimmy.

I just went to Costco and looked at their pork tenderloins.  They come 2 in a pack, for about $20.

I also saw some really long, thick, whole pork loins.  Being new to smoking, I thought that was the "tenderloin", until I looked around some more and saw the real tenderloins.  But I may get a whole loin sometime and cut it into a roast and chops.

I'm really looking forward to smoking this weekend.  I'll make a thread and post pics.
$20 for Three Pounds of meat? Sounds expensive. Here in NJ grocery stores, $3.50 per Pound is average and can be had on sale for $2.99.

In some parts of the country and in some stores the label TenderLoin is used more as Marketing than reprsenting the actual cut of pork. It has caused a lot of misunderstanding here at SMF. One member post he smoked his Tenderloin (actual Loin at 6lbs) 6 hours and how juicy it was and the next guy ACTUALLY gets a 1 pound Tenderloin and wonders what went wrong when 6 hours gave him Pork Jerky...
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
...JJ

I love smoking pork tenderloin whole, I cut a couple of pockets end to end and I fill the pockets with motzarella cheese and pickled jalapeños then I wrap in a lattice of bacon keeping track of where the top of the pockets are so I can put them that side up to not lose the cheese, I take them to 140 IT then flash the bacon on my gas grill to get rid of the rubber texture, the last time I did this I couldn't part with any of it, I ate it all in about 4 days at about 1/2 " slices warmed in microwave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky