Smokin Pastor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

imjohnnykelley

Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Hey there guys and gals. My name is Johnny. I live in Lakeland Florida. I am a pastor. And I have a problem. I am addicted to meat. It has been 3 hours since my last meat. And I have no intention of quitting. 

Whew, glad to get that off my chest. Haha.

I am new to smoking. Got an ECB for Christmas and am excitedly learning how and what to do. Have friends and family that are into it and giving me help, but this forum has been a huge help as well. On day 5 of the e-course. I have been a griller for years, and am actually going to be converting my 55 gallon barrel grill into an offset smoker this summer. So excited about that. Trying to figure out what the best first meats to smoke right now. Any tips? 

Thanks for all the knowledge you have already given me, and I look forward to mixing it up with you all on the boards! Talk to you soon!

Johnny

Welcome Pastor JohnnyK!  What the heck are you doing up at 3 o'clock in the morning in Florida?!  Wait, what the heck am I doing up at midnight in California!?  Oh yeah, thinking about smoking meat!!!!!

Best first meats?  Chicken.  Spare Ribs.  Smaller butts.  All are good learning meats and require minimum preparation.

Glad you're here!!!  Now you can feed your flock in more than one way!!!!   

Reactions: jloom
[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Welcome Pastor JohnnyK!  What the heck are you doing up at 3 o'clock in the morning in Florida?!  Wait, what the heck am I doing up at midnight in California!?  Oh yeah, thinking about smoking meat!!!!!

Best first meats?  Chicken.  Spare Ribs.  Smaller butts.  All are good learning meats and require minimum preparation.

Glad you're here!!!  Now you can feed your flock in more than one way!!!!   
Haha....Up at 3 working on church stuff......err.....thinking about smoking meat. Haha. Thanks for the tips brother!

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]
Thanks Gary. You in Whitehouse? I grew up in Port Arthur, and have actually preaching in Whitehouse a couple times. There was a great rib joint there last time I was in town with all you can eat ribs. It was so tasty. 

Probably the one you are thinking of is Rib Masters on the West side of 110 past Brookshire's and before you get to Southside Bank

Gary

Probably the one you are thinking of is Rib Masters on the West side of 110 past Brookshire's and before you get to Southside Bank

Gary
That is the place. It has been a few years, but I remember it being pretty tasty.

Ribs are what they specialize in, probably the most consistent thing on the menu. There is another place out past the lake off of 346 (Kate's) that has Real Good BBQ, smokes on a SF and uses Oak and Hickory only open Thur, Fri, &Sat.

Gary

Welcome to the forum Johnny. We can certainly use another preacher around here.

You ve come to the best place for great information on smoking and many other types of cooking! Many friendly people here that love to help. Also make the search button your best friend. There are over a million post in this forum. That powerful information on a vast array of subjects right at your fingertips.
Brian

Welcome from another pastor.  I'm in KS and wish I was in FL with the -11 degree temps we had yesterday!  My mom retired to Tavares last October.  You anywhere near there?

Welcome from another pastor.  I'm in KS and wish I was in FL with the -11 degree temps we had yesterday!  My mom retired to Tavares last October.  You anywhere near there?
Yeah, Tavares is about an hour north of me. Beautiful forest up that way. We haven't had any crazy temps like that, but last night it was in the upper 30's. I know all you northerners think I am a baby, but I was cold. Brrrr.

......... We haven't had any crazy temps like that, but last night it was in the upper 30's. I know all you northerners think I am a baby, but I was cold. Brrrr.
well , pastor johnny. im a northerner and I think the 30s is cold too. altho , right now that would be spring like....its been in the low teens and single numbers here these last couple days.

anyhoo , welcome to the party. good to meet ya.

well , pastor johnny. im a northerner and I think the 30s is cold too. altho , right now that would be spring like....its been in the low teens and single numbers here these last couple days.

anyhoo , welcome to the party. good to meet ya.
You from Mass? My wife is from Worcester. Love that area so much.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky