Smokin' Mom

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by keysninja, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Hi everyone. I'm here because I've challenged my Texas born and raised husband to a "smoke-off"! We live in Key Largo and have a Brinkman Trailmaster Limited Edition smoker. He does pretty well with it but I'm a more detail oriented person and I think I can knock it out of the park! I'm pretty good in the kitchen and on a grill, but I might need some help on this. I'm reading the posts and I'll let you know the results of this challenge!

2. bluewhisper

bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome to the board! People are not jealous of their secrets here, so look around the various sections and use the Search to look up your smoker and see what others do with it.

3. Thanks!

4. mahpiya

mahpiya Newbie

Waves from VA ~ got a 7 lb butt smoking right now.  Ask away members here are very helpful.

5. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome to SMF you will find lots of help here

6. [​IMG]   Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from a cloudy, windy and warm day in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything .     I see a good battle in the making !

Gary

7. So let's start me off with the best/easiest meat for a rookie smoker to start out with?

8. wolfman1955

wolfman1955 Master of the Pit

IMHO pork butt is the most forgiving of all meat. But to learn how to control the temp. on your pit is the most important thing of all and you really don't need meat in it for that.
    Here is a link you may like on pork butt and pulled pork:
    http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/basic-pulled-pork-smoke

Keep Smokin!!!
    Wolf

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  9. Start out with some chicken , cheap, not a long smoke and will let you get familiar with the smoker settings, time , heat etc. Like Wolfman said pork butt is forgiving, but you are in for a long smoke. once you get these two down you should be comfortable with the smoker and ready to jump on some ribs and brisket

Gary

10. wolfman1955

Remember what is best/easiest for you is also best/easiest for you husband. What I would do, because it is a contest, pick something that your husband sometimes struggles with. Then read up and ask questions for the particular meat, after you study up on it then you may increase your chances of winning the contest.

11. I like this idea!

12. bluewhisper

bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Wait, there's material for a blues or country song here. You're learning and practicing while the husband is gone.

Maybe written from his view where it's something like  "I went by the house at lunch, and found blue smoke at my back door"

13. Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
    About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
    and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
    We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
    Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
    because their are so many different ways to make great Q...
    Happy smoken.
    David

keysninja likes this.
  14. So I am finally ready for my smoke off! I have a 6 lb pork shoulder. Gonna try to do pulled pork. She's in the fridge bonding with her dry rub friends!

15. wolfman1955

Good luck in your smoke off!!

Remember [​IMG]

Keep Smokin!!!

Wolf

16. spainglish

spainglish Fire Starter

That sounds like a good choice. I have found that olive oil or even a little water will help the spices release a little more flavor. I'm not talking about a marinade, just a little moisture added to the rub. There's a great article about it on amazingribs .com if you look in the rubs section under recipes. Good luck with your cook off!

17. What No Pics ?

Gary

18. Ok, I'll get some pics going here soon!

19. We'll be waiting

Gary

20. im moving this over to pork. Titled first smoke ever!