Smokin like my life depends on it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BogeyJoeSr

Original poster
May 12, 2020
These Meat shortages happening nationwide is bringing the perfect opportunity to start a smoked meat stand. So my nephew, Marcus, has always talked about it and after finding an upright smoker on a trailer, I figured at least part of my PPP has gotta go towards it. He worked a couple yrs as a cook at a BBQ joint here in Columbus Ohio, while my desire to smoke fish i get fresh caught in my home state of Michigan should offer folks the right variety of wood smoked meats. Surely I'll be seeking advise from experienced crafters of the trade as hopefully we can return the favors and promote this craft thru another generation or two.

I'd love to do the same but instead of BBQ I'd like to get a wood and LP gas fired pizza oven.
The overhead with BBQ is way too expensive and smoking meat properly takes way too much time.
I have friends that own both and the guy that makes pizza is making 3x the money than the guy making BBQ and not working nearly as hard and can actually sleep in bed with his wife every night.

People that go into BBQ for a living are born masochist.:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::emoji_tired_face::emoji_joy:

Don't forget your permits, the health department can be a nightmare to deal with.

Good luck.
Dan

Yes, we support AMATEUR (back yard) endeavors here, not commercial endeavors . We cannot give advice or instruction for anything pertaining to a commercial enterprise. Best to study and learn all the in's and out;s concerning the federal, state, county and local laws and regulations for your particular operations you must encounter.

Reactions: forktender
A commercial endeavor is a much larger under taking then a back yard or weekend event smoker.
When you start checking into the require permits and health dept. approval it will almost be enough to stop your idea. Then there will be the on going inspections. I know just from doing events for
non-profit groups its a pain to comply. It gets worst every year.

Warren

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky