Biggest ribs of my life…

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
They take into account the weight loss from them and factor it into the price of the PR they are selling so the ribs might be pretty darned cheap. This is of course if they are getting the whole 103 rib section. If they are getting a 107 or 109 cut, you're not gonna get the full ribs and they will be more expensive.

Robert
The beef ribs they sell at costco must be the latter, 107 or 109? They will still be the prime rib? I can't eat much brisket, one small piece of plate ribs can set my stomach off.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
I like the way you roll Sven! Beautiful cook, beautiful plate, and a nice bottle of wine! Like!
Lord only knows how long that bottle was sitting in our humble cellar. It was a very bold wine so it matched the strong flavors of the smoke. It also had an unexpected punch. I had 2 glasses and then could not drive the family to the FroYo place so my wife drove. I stayed home and ate some fruit.

Them Texas beef ribs are prime rib on a bone and a family fav in our house! Our local Costco recently started stocking them....Like Christmas every week!

Nice work on them and I'm pretty sure you will be on the hunt for some more! PS, if you talk to the local butcher and ask them to save the ribs for you when they have a prime rib sale you will be happy and full again!
I keep looking for them at our local Costco. They only have really flat ones with little meat. I'm sure I did not use the proper butcher's term by calling them "really flat ones with little meat."

Sven, those look terrific and the clean bone is evidence to how much they were appreciated.

When I read the 350 weight all I could think of was the Flintstone ribs rolling the vehicle over. Ha ha.

Awesome cook. I'm sure your relatives had a great time.
The Flintstones was my exact first thought when Robert first showed me what was on the way.

WOW!! You did those ribs proud my friend. Those put the last batch I did to shame. Excellent job sir and congrats on a successful cook.

That's pretty close :emoji_laughing:

Nothing haughty at all with that statement. There's no sin in having pride for undertaking a new project and having it be a success, especially as big a success as these were.

Yes sir. Those were cut off of a 103 sub primal rib section, which is pure prime rib straight off the cow. @civilsmoker nailed it and he has a great suggestion to check the local butcher or grocery stores and ask them to save the ribs for you. They take into account the weight loss from them and factor it into the price of the PR they are selling so the ribs might be pretty darned cheap. This is of course if they are getting the whole 103 rib section. If they are getting a 107 or 109 cut, you're not gonna get the full ribs and they will be more expensive.

Robert
Thanks again, Robert. I probably would have been too scared to buy these on my own fearing I would mess it up. You forced my hand on this one. Haha! I ended up with a couple lbs of extra that I might turn into some simple tacos unless that pack does not survive the occasional nibbling.

The beef ribs they sell at costco must be the latter, 107 or 109? They will still be the prime rib? I can't eat much brisket, one small piece of plate ribs can set my stomach off.
I'm with you the brisket. It's just too rich for me. I've never been able to eat more than two slices without regret.

I made a comment about some Dino ribs some weeks back. I’ve never seen them anywhere I’ve shopped. It turns out that tx smoker tx smoker had pity on me and sent me some HUGE ribs a week ago which was wholly unexpected and extremely generous. But now I’m nervous as I’ve never cooked anything like this and I really didn’t want his generosity to be wasted.
Sven, you hit this out of the park! Fantastic meal that I'm certain the entire group marveled over. Loved the informative writeup as well, which I'll refer too if and when I can actually find Dino Bones. Indiana butchers done seem to be keen on proving these. What a wonderful gesture Robert! A class act, for sure.

Points for the two of ya!

Reactions: Sven Svensson
The beef ribs they sell at costco must be the latter, 107 or 109?
These come in 4 different designations: 103, 107, 109, and 109E. I get the 103 sub primal rib sections from CPB. Here is one fully intact. The ribs on top of the 3rd pic are what was sent to Sven.
002.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

The 107 cut is what's typically sent to the butcher of grocery store meat department. The ribs are cut shorter and some trimming is done to the roast prior to shipping. They will then trim it more into a 109 cut, which is more of the bones cut back and more trimming done for appearance. The 109 is what you'll see the majority of the time in the meat coolers at the grocery store. The 109E ("E" designating "Export") is trimmed even more to look pretty much spotless then packaged to be exported to other countries.
They will still be the prime rib?
Yes, it is all prime rib, but here the designations get a little fuzzy. If all of the bones have been removed from the roast and all you have is meat then it's called "prime rib". If bones are left on the meat, it's known as a "standing rib roast". Regardless of the designation though, it's all the same meat, just called by different names and numbers.

Are you totally confused yet??

Robert

Reactions: Nefarious
These come in 4 different designations: 103, 107, 109, and 109E. I get the 103 sub primal rib sections from CPB. Here is one fully intact. The ribs on top of the 3rd pic are what was sent to Sven.
View attachment 635500
View attachment 635501
View attachment 635502
The 107 cut is what's typically sent to the butcher of grocery store meat department. The ribs are cut shorter and some trimming is done to the roast prior to shipping. They will then trim it more into a 109 cut, which is more of the bones cut back and more trimming done for appearance. The 109 is what you'll see the majority of the time in the meat coolers at the grocery store. The 109E ("E" designating "Export") is trimmed even more to look pretty much spotless then packaged to be exported to other countries.

Yes, it is all prime rib, but here the designations get a little fuzzy. If all of the bones have been removed from the roast and all you have is meat then it's called "prime rib". If bones are left on the meat, it's known as a "standing rib roast". Regardless of the designation though, it's all the same meat, just called by different names and numbers.

Are you totally confused yet??

Robert
I have to go to Costco this afternoon anyway, so I will look. The ones I have seen don't seem to have the meat on the end. From memory they seem more like how spare ribs are, just meat between the bone.

This thread confused me as the phrase "dino ribs" was in the first sentence of the OP, but it turns out, this thread is not about dino ribs, is it? It's about beef back ribs from the rib roast, or prime rib roast if you like.

My understanding:

Dino ribs = chuck short ribs (usually come as a plate of four, large bones, plenty of meat)

Bronto Ribs = plate short ribs (usually come as a plate of three, very large bones, lots of marbled meat)

Beef back ribs = the ribs shown in this thread that come from the rib roast (or prime rib roast if you prefer - a bone in ribeye steak would include this rib - not much meat because the meat is saved for the roast)

Is this correct? Nobody mentioned back ribs in this thread, so I was confused.

Thanks

This thread confused me as the phrase "dino ribs" was in the first sentence of the OP, but it turns out, this thread is not about dino ribs, is it?
My understanding of ribs is the same as yours. I think what's happened is that the term "Dino" has somewhat become a generic term for any large beef ribs. Kinda like any sort of pliable plastic is "cellophane" or any personal watercraft is a "jet ski".

From my perspective though, Sven can call them whatever he wants :emoji_wink: They were his ribs and his thread and I'll support him however he chooses to address them. I will however say that your response may well clarify the differences between the various types of ribs for some people.

Robert

You nailed them ribs! They look awesome! And a great gesture of Robert to send them to you! Go ahead...pat yourself on the back some more...you deserve it!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky