Smokin-it vs Pit Boss

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kutch98

Original poster
May 15, 2021
For a few years now I’ve been using a Smokin-it electric smoker. For my birthday / Fathers Day gift my wife got me a Pit Boss 500 Lexington.
Trying to learn some differences in styles between the 2. I did some St. Louis style ribs for my first smoke, they came out a little dry. I cooked them in a 3-2-1 method. At the 2 and 1 I put some BBQ sauce on.
Did a 4lb pork shoulder a couple of days ago, I’m not sure if it was under or over cooked. It didn’t want to shred like normal pork does. I covered in mustard and rub for about an hour before putting on. I also did a spritz of apple juice, apple cider vinegar, spray butter and water all mixed together. I put that on once an hour until done. Didn’t get a hard crust like with the smokin-it, that’s from the spritz. The crust tasted great. The rest was ok.
Any suggestions? I used the PB probe in one end and a different probe in the other. The PB hit 195 first. The other probe said 187. Not sure if one side is hotter than the other.

Attachments

• 7F216B36-83D4-49F5-9DE9-0434A371CC8C.jpeg
    7F216B36-83D4-49F5-9DE9-0434A371CC8C.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 5D679B97-8C7D-40DD-B99C-41BDF37A9E4E.jpeg
    5D679B97-8C7D-40DD-B99C-41BDF37A9E4E.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 38
  • E65C6BB0-B72C-4742-AAAD-8A30B3BCEBAE.jpeg
    E65C6BB0-B72C-4742-AAAD-8A30B3BCEBAE.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 3E0DA167-DE92-4237-9C03-DC15CC6ED70E.jpeg
    3E0DA167-DE92-4237-9C03-DC15CC6ED70E.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 36
  • 767CBF2F-5F56-4F95-B1AE-5868DE3C73F8.jpeg
    767CBF2F-5F56-4F95-B1AE-5868DE3C73F8.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 29
Welcome. If your pork won't pull, its Under done. Typically, pork will pull around 205°F, both your IT's were under. Temp is really just a guideline to tell you when to test for doneness. Your therm probe or Bamboolop 00 Skewer, should slide in with no resistance, everywhere you test. Biggest difference between your Smokers, the Smokin-It hold Moisture in the cabinet. The PB is a Dry Heat. You will get different result with each...JJ

welcome to the site, you didn't state what temp your cooking at, I use a InkBird 6x therm to help keep track of temps, it cooks different than other cookers but you need another way to check temps. Looks like you wrapped the ribs but maybe not enuff sauce or cooked to long after you pulled out of foil? , it will take some practice to get use to it but that's half the fun, a instant read meat therm is a great tool no matter how your cooking, the shoulder was probably not to temp imo

The others have you covered pretty much on the PP. probably not cooked all the way. I usually get ready to pull mine at 203*-204* that way by the time I actually take it off it’s 204*+. For the ribs, and for me I find that for baby backs and St. Louis ribs the 3-2-1 method is a little too long and meat more for spare ribs. I usually do about 2.5-1.5-1 hours. You should give that a try and adjust better for how you guys like them. Also with the probes. Easy way to tell if they are accurate, boil some water and stick them in. Should read 212* and then put them in ice water and should read 32*. Like mike243 mike243 said. I also use the inkbird thermometers and love them. And they are spot on.

Everyone above has giving great advise. I'm 64 years old and have been smoking meat since my 30's. I've gone through more grills and smokers than I care to think about. The lesson that I've learned is ever piece of equipment operates different and the secret to success is learning what works in the grill or smoker you are using and not what worked in your last one. You will get familiar with your new one and be happy with the results after a few smokes

The high amount of airflow in a pellet grill will tend to dry out the surface of the meat more compared to other types of smokers. As for the butt not being cooked enough, just pull it when it is probe tender. Half the time I don't even bother using a temperature probe anymore.

welcome to the site, you didn't state what temp your cooking at, I use a InkBird 6x therm to help keep track of temps, it cooks different than other cookers but you need another way to check temps. Looks like you wrapped the ribs but maybe not enuff sauce or cooked to long after you pulled out of foil? , it will take some practice to get use to it but that's half the fun, a instant read meat therm is a great tool no matter how your cooking, the shoulder was probably not to temp imo

I was cooking at 250 I think. Normally I like a good 215 - 220 range. Kinda wish the PB had more freedom in temp selection.

Stop spritzing, cook your pork butt longer.
And 3-2-1 is just a guideline. Smoke until the color looks good or the internal temperature stalls, then wrap for as long as necessary to achieve desired doneness. Once you unwrap it's not going to get more tender, in fact the internal temp will start to drop. There's no reason to put it back in for an hour just to firm up the bark or sauce it. 20-30 minutes should be all it takes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky