SMOKIN-IT SMOKER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thanks, Jted! Now I guess I am confused. I've had a #2 for a couple years and it is coated on the inside with creosote. I've never really tried to clean it, but it certainly can't be classified as "sanitary".

I also own a Big Green Egg and maybe once a year I build a very hot fire and burn off the accumulated creosote. That raises the question of how people clean the accumulated creosote in their Smokin-It smokers, or if they clean them at all?
To tell you the truth if you have ever watched ( Pit-Master's ) on  TV it looks like they never clean there equipment  but on the other hand either do I other then the racks ..

Last edited:
To me cleaning the bottom is a pain no matter how you slice it. I boil water and pour it on the bottom. It melts and washes the bottom of any grease, food, or sticky seasoning.

Jon D

Last edited:
To me cleaning the bottom is a pain no matter how you slice it. I boil water and pour it on the bottom. It melts and washes the bottom of any grease, food, or sticky seasoning.

Jon D
Might be OK with a Smokin-It, but I never pour water in my MES. Electric & Water don't mix.

Bear

I always foil the top of the wood box and the bottom/floor, and punch a hole in the foil for the drain hole.  Clean-up is quick and simple. What little runs down the walls and gets behind the foil is minimal to say the least.

Thanks to everyone for the input about cleaning. For the record, I clean my racks after every cook and the meat, chicken or fish I smoke never comes in direct contact with the walls of the smoker. I also clean any excess fats or grease that have slipped under the aluminum foil during a cook as well as the drip pan.

To comment on Jted's post, my smoker has a wonderful smoke aroma when I open the door, so I'm going to go by the adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Thanks to everyone for the input about cleaning. For the record, I clean my racks after every cook and the meat, chicken or fish I smoke never comes in direct contact with the walls of the smoker. I also clean any excess fats or grease that have slipped under the aluminum foil during a cook as well as the drip pan.

To comment on Jted's post, my smoker has a wonderful smoke aroma when I open the door, so I'm going to go by the adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
It sounds to me like you are in good shape smoker wise. Just use common sense and you will continue to produce great Q.  Jted

In my #1, after a while the black, what ever it's called, starts to flake. It's on the walls, back of door, and the ceiling. I use a 3" paint scraper to gently remove it.

I just smoked some spare ribs with the 3-2-1 method at 221* (105* C) in my #1. The ribs came out tender but a little dry in some thinner areas. Do you guys consider this normal? Am I better off going for hotter and faster or lower and longer. Say 210 for 6 or 6.5 hours.

And no I forgot to do the bend test but I believe they were closer to over cooked.

Any advice?

I just smoked some spare ribs with the 3-2-1 method at 221* (105* C) in my #1. The ribs came out tender but a little dry in some thinner areas. Do you guys consider this normal? Am I better off going for hotter and faster or lower and longer. Say 210 for 6 or 6.5 hours.

And no I forgot to do the bend test but I believe they were closer to over cooked.

Any advice?

Did you use any liquids while foiling?

I am using this one method I borrowed here on forum. Can't recall an author but thanks to him everyone love my ribs.
For each Rack of Ribs Combine:

1T Pork Rub, yours

1/2 Stick Butter

1/2C Cane Syrup... Dark Corn Syrup...or Honey

1/4C Apple Cider...or Juice

1T Molasses

Optional:

2T Vinegar, to make it Tangy

Also depending on thickness I can cut last hour in half.

I follow about the same technique as AHAKOHDA, I put mine in a squirt bottle to reduce the number of things I have to carry.

! tbs of rub

I use the small bottles of apple juice so I guess maybe 3 Oz

Butter 

1/3 cup of brown sugar 

Put it in a sauce pan and bring it to a good simmer,it will reduce a little but you just want it to dissolve the rub and sugar..

Put the liquid in the foil before putting the ribs in meat side down.Then a squirt on the bone side and wrap tightly.

There is no right or wrong just experiment as satisfy your taste and texture  Jted 

Roger. So some type of liquid would have helped them from drying rather than just brown sugar and butter? Like apple juice or cider vinegar

Also after experimenting, I have notice I get TBS at 200 or 210. Any hotter and the element seems to burn it. Any suggestions for 210* ribs?

I was thinking at the 3 stage 210 and for the 2 and 1 trying 250. I tried the handy dandy search button but couldnt find much on lower temp hot smoking.

Thanks, Jon D

Roger. So some type of liquid would have helped them from drying rather than just brown sugar and butter? Like apple juice or cider vinegar

Also after experimenting, I have notice I get TBS at 200 or 210. Any hotter and the element seems to burn it. Any suggestions for 210* ribs?

I was thinking at the 3 stage 210 and for the 2 and 1 trying 250. I tried the handy dandy search button but couldnt find much on lower temp hot smoking.

Thanks, Jon D
When wrapped they steam in their own juices without added liquid, when they shrink and you get pull back showing the bone ends.  I never had dry ribs cooked at 225*F with the 3-2-1 method.  I even poke the bottom of the foil during the two hour foil so they're not swimming in their own juices unless I make a sauce in the foil during those two hours.  I don't want to dissolve the rub off the meat.  That's why I like spares.  They have more fat that liquefies without needing to add any liquid.  If you would have added a little honey and Tiger sauce with your brown sugar and butter you would have had award winning Johnny Trigg ribs.

-Kurt 

I am using this one method I borrowed here on forum. Can't recall an author but thanks to him everyone love my ribs.
For each Rack of Ribs Combine:

1T Pork Rub, yours

1/2 Stick Butter

1/2C Cane Syrup... Dark Corn Syrup...or Honey

1/4C Apple Cider...or Juice

1T Molasses

Optional:

2T Vinegar, to make it Tangy

Also depending on thickness I can cut last hour in half.
It's Chef Jimmy J's Foiling juice thread.  It's outstanding!  I used honey with the ingredients you listed above the optional vinegar.  I also used the smoked pork dripping he mentioned instead of the butter.

-Kurt

Any advice?
When I get the whole spare rib with flap and rib tips attached, I separate each section and cut off the smaller ribs to get as close to a rectangle as I can so the main ribs cook evenly.  Then when foiling I throw the smaller ribs I removed in with the rib tip foil package.  The flap doesn't make it to being foiled.  It's what's eaten during the foiling of the ribs and the tips.

-Kurt

Makes sense. My large ribs were very juicy and the smaller bones without the flap were more dry along with the flap itself. Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky