Smokin' in the Cold

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meowey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 16, 2006
Northern NY (Adirondacks)
Well, Here goes folks!

Smoking GYPC's Italian Beef rump roast.

Outdoor temp is -5F. Overnight low was -20F. The GOSM did not want to fire up. I brought it in the house for about an hour to warm up the gas valve. Back outside and it fired right up. (I don't work too well when I'm that cold)

I'm running the gas only about a little higher than normal to get the smoker up to temp. Will post more pics as the smoke progresses.

snowsmoke1ns9.jpg

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Wow, I don't know which to be more impressed by-the smoker or all that snow
icon_biggrin.gif
! My mom was from the Hornell area and always said that she'd seen enough snow for a lifetime by the time she moved to NC for college
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif
! Now I understand why
icon_wink.gif
. Good luck with your rump roast today! Thanks for the pic. Daun

All right Meowey
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Be sure and get us a pic or two when you put that sandwich together. Maybe it will inspire me to do it again.
icon_exclaim.gif
wink.gif

It's just wonderful to see fellow diehard smokers on this site!!!

Hey meowey, I know they're gonna be good......my wife has been wanting me to make'm. Lookin forward to the yummy pics!!!

Looks like that snow could be a good wind blocker!!! My brother is a lineman and got called up to NY to help out with downed lines. I heard the one town got 150+ inches of snow!!!! Heck, last week we got about 4 inches but that managed to shut down 78 for 3 days!!! Some people were stuck out there for 24+ hours.
icon_eek.gif

Looks like the amount of snow you had to move, you deserve to have a good meal. When you are done smoking your roast it will have beens worth all the work.

meowey

That's one impressive wind block you got there! Your gona need gas to help keep the temperatures up for sure! Look like part of my smokes been canceled for today.

We were having a heat wave yesterday stayed around 35 degrees all day so I used my old grill for a refridgerator. Must've got colder after midnight my bird in the brine is now a chickcicle!

Wonder if that'lll ruin the meat?

We're rooting for ya man!
fba15796_vbattach11726.jpg

Well here are the rest of the pics.

Beef in smoker
snowsmoke2ph1.jpg

Beef Resting
snowsmoke3nl0.jpg

Finished and waiting to be devoured
snowsmoke4go1.jpg

I only had to run the gas a little higher than for more moderate ambient temps. The smoker held steady at 225 for the whole smoke. The "wind block" worked very well.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards,

Meowey

Meowey, that looks soooo yum dillyicious!!!!! Iv'e got to find the link from gypc with that recipe. Great smoke in the cold, you gotta love the GOSM for winter smokes, they really do well at keeping steady temps in the cold.

Thanks for finding the link cajunsmoker. I was just going to go "prospecting" for it myself. My whole family loves these babies!

Regards,

Meowey

Poor Debi
PDT_Armataz_01_13.gif
! I would think the only byproduct of becoming a chicksickle would be more tender meat
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
. Did you do anything else or just cancel altogether? Daun

Naw no smoke - just did 12 lbs of jerky, 11 lbs pepperoni, brined a pastrami and a chicken, trimmed up a pork butt and seasoned for capocollo. Got the capocollo cooking now. Guess I did do something - just not smoke.

Drove my sister nuts though! She moved in with me Friday night "getting away from hubby and brat kid. "
eek.gif

She decided watching me running around cutting up meats and making jerky, sausages and lunch meat was crazier than being home. Hubby picked her up this morning... YEA!
icon_biggrin.gif

I try to be a good sister but she's boring - just watches TV and whines about being bored.
rolleyes.gif
I couldn't even interest her in turnin' my sausage handle ...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky