Smokin Butts in ROK

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alaskatoy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Wonju, South Korea
I'm in S Korea for a year - too long to go smoke free, so I aquired a pair of shoulders for an all-nighter.  The folks out here with me loved it.  Working with a 22.5" Weber; it's all I have, but it gets it done.

43_72506_1312304586228_1789063530_621123_7661992_n.jpg
e6_68702_1312317186543_1789063530_621141_2910553_n.jpg

Good to see you don't have to go smoke free for that long a period!  What part of Korea?  I spent far too much time in Kunsan, Osan and the Kwang Ju province...

Aneyonghaseo.....I did my time in 99. Road Warrior in 1st Sig Youngsan Korea.  If you ever make it to Iteawon there is a bar that I know is still open called Just Blues the House band Chi and Friends is Awesome.  Keep it smoking and get ready for a Cold winter my friend.

Man those look awesome.  Great job at modifing that weber, and flat out getting the job done!   Thank you for your service!

Looks Great AJ!

Good to see you can make good American food in SK.

Care to tell---What are the 4 little foil sides there?

Thanks,

Bear

icon_cool.gif

Nice looking butts you have there in the smoker now. I know the good folks there haven't seen much of that style of cookking.

Mr Mac,  I'm in Wonju about 65 miles ENE of Osan.  Not much out here at all - we have to drive to Osan just to get our mail.

ECTO1,  I was in Itaewon last weekend.for halloween night!  Next time I go, I'll see if I can find  Just Blues.  Thanks for the tip!

Bearcarver,  I smoked a couple yellow onions along with the shoulders.  Let them go long enoungh and they get all soft and sweet.   I like to put some on my pulled pork sandwiches.

I work with a few Koreans; they look at me like I am crazy to stay up all night cooking.  (They might be right, but I'll never admit it to them.)  They LOVE the food too.  Recently I've done a duck, some salmon, and a brisket too;  they have all been great - except the duck was too salty because I overbrined/salted it.  The little heat shield I whipped out for the Weber works good.  I originally made it for our 18" Weber, but it works equally well in the 22.5" kettle.

Last edited:
One thing that I found odd about those shoulders when I took them out the the vac sealed bag - they still had the skin on.  All the butts I bought in Ohio were skinless.   I skinned them before seasoning and smoking, so no problem.   Has anyone else bought shoulders "skin on"? 

Last edited:
Hmmm, might have been from North Korea?

They eat the skin up there. Goes great with Tree bark.

Just kidding.

I never saw any with the skin on.

Yours look better every time I look at 'em!

Bear

Heck of a job AJ. Thank you for your service. Those butts look first class and those onions look mighty tasty. Congrats on a great smoke

One thing that I found odd about those shoulders when I took them out the the vac sealed bag - they still had the skin on.  All the butts I bought in Ohio were skinless.   I skinned them before seasoning and smoking, so no problem.   Has anyone else bought shoulders "skin on"? 
I am guessing since it was vacumed sealed it may have been a thin layer of fat.  It could be skin when I smoke picnic roasts they come with the skin on I just skin them and smoke them.  Either way those are some nice looking butts.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky