Smokestack Damper

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Newglide

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
NC
I have always heard to leave the smokestack damper wide open and to control the heat with the fire size and the firebox damper.
Been cooking like that for awhile. I've noticed videos and different forums people talking about the smokestack damper.
Anybody out there mess with the smokestack damper?
Does it help any?

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
I leave it wide open. I never play with it and I guess I’ve never felt a need to. But, people do different things that work for them. I’ve also heard of people never closing the firebox.

Reactions: Newglide

Hockeydudde

Meat Mopper
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
I've started closing the stack damper just until the doors leak the tiniest wisp of smoke.
I know the doors are not perfectly sealed, so my theory is that if there isn't smoke coming out, there is cold air going in. I'd rather leak a tiny amount of smoke than be letting in an unknown amount of cold air, creating uneven temps.
I have no evidence this has any real positive effect, but it seems to help and I've noticed no negative effects.
It does seem to take less wood to maintain temps with it partially closed.

Displaced Texan

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Nov 11, 2020
Burr Ridge, IL
Wide open. However, and this is after talking to the guy who built my pit, if I screw up and the temps spike, I will close it 3/4 or so to get the temp back down.

chp

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Sep 30, 2020
Colorado
I also leave it wide open, but I noticed my new trailer smoker project has a damper that is clearly a cap to keep rain out when not in use…so maybe there is another purpose?

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
I put a damper on my propane smoke a few years ago to improve air flow. It had a cap on the top to help block against rain and leaves,etc. Yes, it has an adjustable damper but I have never used it. Fully open.

Displaced Texan

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Nov 11, 2020
Burr Ridge, IL
Does that work for you? I’d be worried about smothering it too much and going dirty.
Yes, it is maybe a few minutes, and, of course, I try my best to avoid spikes anyway with smaller splits, etc. Once the temp is trending down, I begin slowly opening it back up to avoid just what you mentioned.

I have posted the briskets I have done this year. They have all turned out very good.

wimpy69

Smoking Fanatic
Something I had saved when I was learning about dampers.

jdixon

Smoke Blower
Jul 24, 2021
I've started closing the stack damper just until the doors leak the tiniest wisp of smoke.
I know the doors are not perfectly sealed, so my theory is that if there isn't smoke coming out, there is cold air going in. I'd rather leak a tiny amount of smoke than be letting in an unknown amount of cold air, creating uneven temps.
I have no evidence this has any real positive effect, but it seems to help and I've noticed no negative effects.
It does seem to take less wood to maintain temps with it partially closed. etiquette training online
I have 2 inch wide 3 inch tall pipe nipples on my uds cover. I'm looking for ideas to create a damper out of them, I have a welder so that's not an issue. Ive seen the teardrop ones online, not too crazy about those. Any other ideas or what you guys have done? Thanks

Latest posts

Hot Threads