smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bngood

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
colorado springs co.
hi all, happy mothers day to those that are. i was sittin here just wondering for the backyard smoker which smoker reins the best out of all which one is used the most, i thought it was a good ? electric,propane or charcoal.lets here some feed back please

22.5 " WSM with charcoal and I don't think I'll ever need any other type of smoker. Temperature control is excellent and the BBQ that it produces is the best I've ever had......well, except for other homemade Q. Nothing store bought or ordered at a restaurant is even close.

Which is the best I would say is an individual decision. I would probably have to agree with the WSM being most widely used and easy to hold temps in its price range for the backyarder. A cheap off set is just going to be full of issues out of the box that the user will need to overcome one way or another. I've never owned a WSM though so I don't know the learning curve if any associated with that unit.

Also the masterbuilt electric smokers are up there as well for the backyarder.

Just my opinion though so take it for what you will. I like offsets and that's what I've always had.

The best smoker is a matter of personal choice.  Whatever works best for you is the best smoker for you.

Be Well,

Jim K.

Brinkmann Smoke 'N Pit King
Weber 22" Kettle
Char-broil Quantum 3-burner IR Grill
Big Easy 1600

"Coals, smoke, meat and beverages - Life is great"

I don't think that there is an all around best smoker if you're smoking lots of different things.

I have a small smokehouse for cold smoking bacon and the like.
I prefer an electric smoker (MES) and A-Maze-N smoke generator for warm/hot smoked sausages and the like.
I MUCH prefer my charcoal smoker (WSM) for barbecue.......heartwood chunks for smoke and lump charcoal (NO briquettes)!

~Martin

I have used a El Cheapo Brinkman, New Braunfels Horizontal Offset and a MES40 Electric. The Electric is the easiest to use, no baby sitting. The NB Offset puts out flavorful Q but needs constant tending and was costing a fortune in Beer keeping me hydrated messing with the Fire. The ECB was a headache and was way before I found this site, infact it was before I even Owned a Computer!...I am thrilled with the MES40. If I was going back to Charcoal I would get the 22" WSM. Propane I like the Landmann 3895gwla. For a Stickburner probably a Lang 48" Hybrid Patio or Deluxe...JJ

Sorry, but what is a WSM ?

I have an Oklahoma Joe offset smoker - couple of mods and I love it.  I use 'tending the fire' as a good excuse to sit outside with some cold ones
biggrin.gif

my vote is the UDS .

you can build it for $100 or less .

charcoal basket will last 16 hour or more.

the temp is super easy to control

As others have said the best smoker is the one your most comfortable with. You can produce good Q with any of them and each type has advantages and disadvantages. Here would be my choices

If electric MES

If propane GOSM

If charcoal WSM

If wood fired Lang

Ya know, you can try and do like others have done and build your own, it doesn't need to be some bad ass road monster like some of our other members are doing. It can be a simple UDS or a simple small bad ass stick burner!

I'm currently in the process of getting ready to teach myself to weld so I can make a 2nd pit for myself.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky