Smokers, Whats your age and how long have you been smoking???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow I feel really old , 54 and I  had my  smoker( do not know what kind it was) for about 20 years ! Used it as a grill up until about 10 years ago.3 weeks ago the bottom fell out and bought the Longhorn and am adding all the Mods.

68 , don't remember how long. I have several cookers. The oldest one is a homemade reverse flow smoker that I've had since 1977, I use it regularly.

I just turned 62 a couple of months ago. I've been hooked on smoking for 3 years now. I have a 20 year old Weber kettle that's not much to look at but still cooks like a dream, although it's getting jealous of the Master built!

21 and decided to try it out 3 years ago when I moved out, and needed a grill for my Apt. Bought the cheap Brinkmann Smoke N Grill, and it's worked so far. Would like a nicer setup when I become a little more stable and have a place to put a large smoker.

49 here. Been smoking the last 26. I started with a Brinkman verticle charcoal smoker/grill, then went through 3 more. Got a Chargriller Smoker Pro offset two years ago. I just got my MES 40 BT 2 months ago. I love not having to buy charcoal except for grilling.

DDave You made me spit my coffee on that one!

48, grilling for years, brand new to UDS smoker I built.  Can't wait though! :)

63,  be 64 next April. I got interested in grilling and smoking at about 14, got my own smoker at 20  so I have been at it for 43 years, I'm thinking I might get the hang of it in the next 40 ??   Oh wait I better hurry that up.

Only thing I will add is; what a great site and terrific bunch of people here. So much info available at every ones fingertips . When I started it was trial and error and watching and asking a bunch of questions.

Gary

Almost 62.  Purchased an original Bradley about 7 years ago and it sat unused in the box for 3-4 before I opened it and started.  I began smoking limited foods when I was a kid on a Big Chief, and only did beef jerky and dinner salmon (not really smoked) - I think it was the $49 price tag that sold me on that simple to use hot box (couldn't afford anything more, and I wanted electric for ease of use).

I guess I've only really begun smoking good food like cheeses, ribs, etc. for about 2-3 years at the most, so I'm always looking for ways to improve my methods.

It is great to be on this forum with so many people that really know how to cook.

67 til Jan., built my first UDS when I was 23 used to smoke Whiting ( Fish ) 

Richie

Im 21 years old from michigan. Use an offset barrel. Been smoking for about a year now. Turkey day coming soon!I use cherry wood. looking to get some hickory. Its a hobby realy, ive even built my own smoker. And won a 1st place trophy. This website helps me embrace my inner meat.

Last edited:
I picked up a cheap Kingsford Sierra. Just wanted something to get me started. I've already read a lot of the negative reviews and am planning some necessary tweaks. Admittedly, I didn't do much research before making the impulse buy but it should at least get me started!

I started on a cheap 100 offset that should be plenty purfect for a first smoker should last a while.

I have officially entered the age bracket called "Seniors", but I still get carded. I've always loved the outdoors, whether it be playing in them or preparing the next meal.Two years ago I was given an electric smoker by a moving neighbor.It sat a year, unused. THEN, the first attempt. Good eating.Now I am hooked.

I'm 32 going on 33.
Been grilling for bout 7 and smoking for about 3 years not serious but the last 1.5 year I gotten more serious and loving it more
I started because my father in law loves grilling and smoking meat
Been learning from him and this forum
He bought my first smoker
A Masterbuilt vertical has smoker
And I been perfecting my technique over time
Then I got my first stick burner From my kids sitter that had. NB bandera in the backyard sitting and collecting dust and sand from the desert
Father in law and I started fixing things up on that and it's a lovely cooker

And now I just recently got a hold of a horizontal offset and that I'm happily going to make it reverse flow
Looking forward to Q on this babies hopefully measurements and calculations will make a great pit

I am 31 and have been smoking since February when I had promised my wife to make pulled pork for her 30th Birthday and then I have been doing more and more ever since :) I have however been grilling for several years, but I had to pause it for approx two years as we lived in Singapore :( But I have been a Boy Scout as well, so were pretty used to making food over fire :)

Reactions: pittocarrillo
Hey there...

On the very tail end of 46 and started smoking tomorrow. Been wanting to start for a while, but just never pulled the trigger.  Fortunately (for me) the oven died the other day and can't get it replaced for two weeks, so I bought a Masterbuilt 30 in. electric to cook the turkey I need for Saturday. (Small crowd who'd be just as happy to have beer and crackers... so if I screw it up there's no real problem.)

Lots of great info and great people here so far, looking forward to being around. 

Just started the journey of my 7th decade of life.  Been grilling since my first decade and cooking for others since my second.  Started smoking with chip packs on a gas grill probably 12-15 years ago, then smoking seriously with charcoal and wood in August 2013. 

Reactions: pittocarrillo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky