Smoker you never knew you guys helped me build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kfromcanada

Original poster
Aug 11, 2018
hey guys. Decided to join the site after lurking around for a few years. I wanted to show my build hoping that someone’s lurking around would stumble across it and possibly help them. I got most of my info from this site. I’m a gas fitter by trade so I designed the smoker like an oven to hold a constant temp and to be adjustable.

I don’t have pictures of it in the building phase cause when I build stuff I never think of it.

Basic design is a box built from angle iron and 1/16 plate steel welded to the angle. Then I have the whole thing wrapped with cement board. Then framed with 2x4’s with Roxul fire safe insulation in the spaces, 2x4’s are not touching cement board, I used brackets attached to frame. Then I wrapped in in osb playwood (cause it was lying around) then 1x6 pine which I am letting weather for another year then stain. The “attic” is filled with Roxul and the chimney is 3 inch which passes through a 4 inch pipe for some separation. The insulation is a little over kill but I live in rural Canada where it gets for -35 regularly, I don’t let the weather stop me from smoking! The 2 boxes on the side are the controls. Bottom is gas valve and top is electrical. I used an old gas valve converted to propane that cycles on a white Rodgers boiler controller. Basic electrical controls looks like this; power into switch, temp controller cycles othe 24 volt transformer which energizes the gas valve and lets gas flow to main burner ( old hot water tank burner). I have a pilot valve controlled by a pilot light and thermocouple before the main burner valve that shuts gas off If the pilot goes out. Safety first. Pilot stays running the whole time I’m smoking which also helps burn the wood chips which sit on a tray just above the burner. I have different size gas orfices to change the btu of the main burner depending on season. If I use my winter orfice in the summer it cycles too quickly and doesn’t smoke that great. And summer orfice in winter will cause it to not heat properly or up to temp at all.

I won’t go into too much detail on the gas system cause if what I said doesn’t make sense then you probably shouldn’t be playing with propane gas. You could quite easily hurt yourself.

Could I have bought one for cheaper?...... well ya, but what fun is that.

14DC012B-22DE-4AC6-8DE1-145AB2D255EE.jpeg A4F09C8A-723C-46F6-A666-417E960F19B6.jpeg 4855BD12-3430-4078-89BF-72E448BF8AB2.jpeg 8E635B5F-9442-48BE-BAD1-38E9EED027A3.jpeg

The meat in the pic is 2 - 6lb pork loins.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky