SMOKER NOT HOT ENOUGH !!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goliath

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 8, 2013
Terrace BC Canada
CROSS POSTED TO FOOD SAFETY ...
HELLO i have a serious situation.....
put a pulled pork in my electric smoker and it never reached 225 degrees.......
sat at 180 for 6 hours until i figured it out .
internal temp was 140 at that time BUT i dont know how long it took to get there .
Have it at 225 now where it should be ... IS THIS GOING TO BE SAFE TO EAT !!!!!!
i will cook to IT of 205 before i pull it but am cautious as if it will be safe to eat or did i ruin my SUNDAY DINNER !!!!!
any help appreciated
Goliath :)

Did you inject it? Or did you take it straight from package, apply seasoning, and put it in smoker? I would say it's fine if you didn't inject it...the bacteria would have been killed off in that amount of time.

Ryan

First questions gonna be...

Did you inject it ?
Is the thermometer the only thing you have stuck into the meat ?

edit to say.. Brokenhandle has ya covered... carry on if not injected ...

Reactions: bigfurmn
DRY RUB only ... damn its a nice piece of meat and no motherinlaw to test it on LMAO
thanks for your input .. smoker is climbing nicely now !!

• Haha
Reactions: chopsaw
thermometer is all that is in meat .. 2 actually .. 1 for my Auburns controller and 1 for my Maveric so i can read it from the house

What brand/model smoker? Auburns controller? Did you mean Auber? Just trying to figure out why the smoker never reached your desired 225*

home built freezer conversion smoker .,.. i usually bring it up to temp with an auxillary burner then switch to just the Auber controler so i guess the 1 heating element wasnt keeping up
as it is very warm here right now i thought i could get away with it ... so it shows what i get FOR THINKING !!!

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
How many watts is the element? Historically, have you been able to get the temp in the smoker up to similar 225 temps with no problem? In similar weather temps?

its the element that was always recommended on the forum for home built smokers.. and its a pretty big smoker

Attachments

• TURK7.jpg
    TURK7.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 11
  • SMOKER HEATER.JPG
    SMOKER HEATER.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 11
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky