SMOKER CLEANING

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just tried a new way to clean the MES window....I used a razor blade scraper and it worked fantastic!  The whole window cleaned in just a couple of minutes..all the way to the edges.  Then just wiped it a wet paper towel.  The center I had clean recently, but the edges were pretty thick.

Wish I had taken some before and after pictures

Something I do with my gas BBQ grill racks is leave them in place and put aluminum foil shiny side facing heat and turn up the burner(you must weight down the foil with something stones etc) and in 10 minutes racks are sparkling!  Foil really intensifies the heat!   Don't think the electric smoker would get hot enough for this to work but probably a gas unit would!

built up 'Q memories' add to the flavor, personality and even VALUE of the smoker. Yes thats right, not only will it add a good barrier of smoke insulation reinforced with flavor but will add monetary value to your smoker when selling it. The only other things that will add value are BBQ trophies, meat they can taste test, and customization. When people look for a smoker the newbies love to buy a "new" smoker but a seasoned pro likes to buy one that is seasoned well otherwise, they will ask themselves "Why has this smoker been cleaned?" "Whats wrong with it?" "Does this guy ever use it"? sorry to get off on a tangent but if you do clean it i like to get mine up to about 500 degrees then scrape it with a brick! the high heat will kill bugs and melt fat that are hiding and you cannot see.

'The smallest thing that can go wrong at a bbq competition will not only cost you a title but most improtantly your TIME'

I just wipe with paper towels before putting away for the winter to get off extra oil. Might have to scrape some goo out of the drip pan this year. But it will never see soap and water!

If you make a paste out of Baking soda and wipe it on the window .. let it sit for 15 mins .. if really thick then even longer .. get a scrubby sponge and scrub it .. then hose off . dry with paper towels .. this also works wonderfully for your kitchen stove ..

As Martin says and then I burn the grates off with my torch.
th_violent5.gif
 ( that is when Trish is not around,she's thinking I'll start a fire , just because I got her Flowers - honestly , they looked like weeds ; and with weed burner in hand...)
wife.gif

Oh, well. Have fun and...

eing a newbie I was told only clean the drip pans and racks- That said this is my easy way,once the smoker has cooled I bring in the pans I spray them with oven cleaner let them sit overnight just spry with hot water the next morning-little to no scrubbing involved and we are ready to go - hope this helps some

I asked a question in another thread about cleaning the inside of my MES 30 and all the replies here answer my question beautifully. Thanks, guys.

Again, I am confused by this cleaning thing.  This time of year I have found it is just better to keep the thing hot and full of meat.  
That's the REAL solution, don't stop smoking, 24/7 / 365!
If you make a paste out of Baking soda and wipe it on the window .. let it sit for 15 mins .. if really thick then even longer .. get a scrubby sponge and scrub it .. then hose off . dry with paper towels .. this also works wonderfully for your kitchen stove ..
Don't need to wait if you use regular fine ash.
I put my racks in the dishwasher, cleaned easy! I use some ash and water with paper towels to clean my MES window.
Takes maybe 5-10 minutes, depending on how far you let it go..

I burn clean my racks in my gas grill.  About 15 minutes and some brushing and they are sufficiently clean.

I clean the drip pan (which I coat with foil for easy clean up).  And any fat at the bottom I'll just wipe with a paper towel.  The window I occasionally wipe with a damp rag and some elbow grease.  I tend to avoid using any sort of scented cleaner in my smoker.

I just wipe with paper towels before putting away for the winter to get off extra oil. Might have to scrape some goo out of the drip pan this year. But it will never see soap and water!
You put it away for the winter??? I thought that there was a law against that. If there isn't, there should be! 
icon_eek.gif

I line the water pan and drip pan with foil.   And soak the chrome racks in warm soapy water.    A friend said to wipe down the walls, but doesn't sound like a good idea.   Glad you all said I was right.

When I am finished smoking, and everything is done I build my fire up again and get my temp up around 350 or more and give. I leave it for a while to heat up. Then I get the water hose with my sprayer, open the lid and spray the grates and everything inside. This gets rid of the stuck-on meat, sauce and everything stuck to the racks. It also helps with the grease build up. After I have sprayed it out real good I just let it continue to burn and heat back up and give it a good wire brushing. The next day or so after the coals have cooled I clean out the fire box. The next time I get ready to smoke while I am lighting my Coal's I take my Weed burner torch and go over the racks and inside the smoker. Helps heat it up and makes sure if anything was missed it's clean before I put on the meat. I have had a few people tell me that they never clean their smokers. Don't think I want to eat anything they cook. Lucky they have not had a fire in the smoker.

Gary S.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky