Smoker and Pizza Oven Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ferdy

Original poster
Oct 17, 2015
Brentwood, CA
Hello, all. Im trying to put a lot of moving parts on my little pea brain. I'm attaching drawings for an outdoor kitchen idea that I have been mulling over. This is my I-want-it-all outdoor kitchen. No plumbing. Maybe some electrical. But for now just masonry. My primary uncertainty is building the smoker in correct proportions and having a good draw. I think I would economize a little if I could connect the smoker chimney to the pizza oven chimney. It would be a horizontal smoker with an offset firebox. The pizza oven will be from the Forno Bravo Pompeii oven plans I downloaded from their sight for a very reasonable $3.

It seems to me tha the smoker chimney will be long with not much rise by the time it connects to the pizza oven chimney. Any thoughts?

Ferdy,

I'd be leery of the draft in that set-up. Give the smoker it's own chimney so you'll have better control of both units.

Shaun

Shaun,

I was slowly coming to that conclusion. Thanks.

I'm also thinking that I should insulate the cooking chamber in a similar manner as the oven. do you think that would be overkill?

I cook all winter here in NH in very cold temps with no insulation but it never hurts. Although in my six years in SoCal I think it 42 once.

Thank you. I'm in Northern California, east of San Francisco about an hour. So, it's colder here than in SoCal. But if you wouldn't insulate it in NH, it's probably not worth the cost or the work. But the idea of stoking the fire less does have its appeal.

Are there any ratios that are helpful with regard to size of the firebox to the cooking chamber? I'm thinking that the cooking chamber will be 5 X 2 X 2. Would a 2 X 2 X 2 firebox be adequate? Or do I just not worry about it much and control it with a damper?

Thank you very, very kindly. I was going to wing it based on ratios I made up myself from measuring my offset barrel smoker, but I feel much more comfortable with your input. Thank you again.

We have a member who did a all in one unit.  A grill, pizza oven and smoker.   I've been away a while, can't seem to find his pictures.   It can be done,  I just don't have the know how.

I want to thank you all for your help. Though I haven't completed the finish work, I have a fully functional brick grill/smoker/oven. The smoker turned out great, thanks to the calculator you pointed out to me.

The photo below shows the build as we are forming up the concrete counter. The cooking chamber is in the middle and the oven at the end. I have had nothing less than perfection with everything I cook in it.

You're welcome! The picture looks like you've got a very interesting build going on there. Please post more pictures. I'd really like to see the final product. But even today's working product would be informative.

I have my nice masonry smoker, but would like to add a wood/propane grill, propane stove-top, sink and maybe a pizza oven. Still trying to form ideas........

Then I raised the concrete block wall, laid rebar every 2 blocks horizontally and vertically. I filled the core with concrete--every core. Some plans alternate cores, I like to sleep easy at night.

I filled the form with concrete for strength, then mixed perlite with cement to insulate hot surfaces. This is the grill area. Firebrick went directly on top of this. For the oven, I used some higher tech insulation (ceramic board and an insulating silicon/cement product.

Here we are staring the cooking chamber for the smoker. I lucked out. My cousin married a mason. Once he saw my project, I couldn't keep him away from it. He was of tremendous help.

We poured a concrete counter. We glued fiberglass I dilation to the edge of the form to give a textured edge. Once we pulled the forms, we brushed the insulation off with wire brushes, and what little did not come off, we burned off with a torch.

I polished the concrete counter with a wet grinder, then applied epoxy for the finish. I still have to apply the final coat of stucco (acrylic to keep the oven from soaking up water), apply the stone veneer to the concrete block walls, and extend the patio to the edge of the reveal. I had steel plate doors and a grill fabricated to fit. I will try to get a picture from the business side of the build so you can see it from that angle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky