Smokehouse Insect Repellent Tips Needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

apache1512

Original poster
Jan 8, 2020
I recently built a smokehouse that will be staying at my deer lease (possibly permanently). Since it is staying at my deer lease it was done fairly frugally, only costing me about $20 to build. When I was testing it this past weekend adding smoke and heat I notice a fairly large spider crawling around on the wall. Any advice on how to keep insects and other pests? Obviously something that won't be harmful.

Pictures attached for reference. I say it is finished but really it is usable at this point and I will slowly upgrade/adjust over time.

Attachments

• IMG_1921.jpg
    IMG_1921.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1922.jpg
    IMG_1922.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1924.jpg
    IMG_1924.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: ritchierich
keep the smoke rolling that should keep them out, seriously though I really don't know how to keep them out, maybe someone with more knowledge will be around. as long as the snakes aren't getting in that would be good enough for me.

Could spray around the outside of it with Tempo. Very good repellent. Would have to reapply after heavy rains.

I would recommend demand. While more expensive than temp it has a longer residual life. It is also “hotter” than tempo. I would recommend applying to the foliage around the smoker as well. Trees. Ground. Any undergrowth. Etc. apply 1x every 30-60 days. More frequently if heavy rain falls multiple times between applications.. Make sure surfaces are dry, and allow 4-8 hours to dry and “cure” rain shouldn’t really effect it much.
I use demand both inside and outside of campers, cabin, boat, etc. it is rated for both indoor and outdoor use. Take a look at the label. It comes recommended by pest control professionals I know locally. Can be bought on amazon along with a low pressure sprayer.

Syngenta 73654 Demand CS Insecticide, 8oz

I would never spray the interior with any pesticide.
I previously used Tempo, but after the price tripled?
No experience with Demand. If more expensive than Tempo, why?
I use Bifenthrin which is the generic of Talstar. Generic is cheap, highly effective, and long residual.

Why bother killing the Spider? It will keep other insects in check. Besides it won't hang around once the smoke is rolling and the temp goes up...JJ

Why bother killing the Spider? It will keep other insects in check. Besides it won't hang around once the smoke is rolling and the temp goes up...JJ

You know as I was thinking about it the spider, while too big for my liking, doesn't bother me as much but red wasps are bad in this area. They would be a pain to remove without spraying chemicals inside the smoker.

I had to put hardware cloth over my vent holes. A mouse got in and made a nest (mess) and then snakes got in chasing the mouse. I broom out the shelves and the heat/smoke kills everything else

I would leave the spider and screen any openings to keep wasps and hornets out.
You could use both hardware cloth for rodent/critter control and screen for insect/fly control. Remember that screen does cut down airflow, so you may need to change opening dimensions.

I wonder if Moth balls would work.

Chris

50 years ago, Grandma used them in a closet. You could smell them in the next room. Pretty pervasive. Not sure they would be a good choice in a smoke house...JJ

We put moth balls out for rats before in our sleeping quarters but they would just drag them off to their nest and not eat them.

I've decided since posting this that I am mainly worried about red wasps. They're the primary problem in the area in general and love dark closed places. This is how I learned to keep gas grills and other places like that open when noone will be around for a while. I'm wondering if I just start the smoking if that will be enough to run them out and then a I can deal with them after that.

We put moth balls out for rats before in our sleeping quarters but they would just drag them off to their nest and not eat them.

I've decided since posting this that I am mainly worried about red wasps. They're the primary problem in the area in general and love dark closed places. This is how I learned to keep gas grills and other places like that open when noone will be around for a while. I'm wondering if I just start the smoking if that will be enough to run them out and then a I can deal with them after that.

I service natural gas grills and residental lamps for a small company here in Pittsburgh. Frequently I find wasp nests in both.

I merely turn the grills and lamps on, wait a few minutes, and the wasps evacuate.

I think you are unnecessarily worrying. Keep the spider and smoke out the wasps when the time comes.

Personally I think you will be fine,

John

Last edited:
You may have nothing to worry about because we always get the smoke rolling before adding meat. The bugs will evacuate. If you will regularly need access with no fire running, consider this. Which would be easier...Seal every nook and cranny of this Smoke house or build a impenetrable new smoke house?...JJ

You know as I was thinking about it the spider, while too big for my liking, doesn't bother me as much but red wasps are bad in this area. They would be a pain to remove without spraying chemicals inside the smoker.
A (fresh) sachet of peppermint hung inside the smoker during nesting season might keep out the wasps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky