Smokehouse Full

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dugan

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 15, 2016
Chesnee South Carolina
698AD43E-57E6-4D73-AC9A-FD2C421E87CD.jpeg
Hey guys, hope you all had a Good Christmas. Just wanted to post a couple pics of the smokehouse full of Hog Jowls. Finally got it figured out and consistently turning out good stuff

BB265B3D-9086-4856-9034-F7059D2F2D77.jpeg

Thanks guys. Can’t take all the credit. Have to give credit to pops cure. It’s fool proof. And wish I could put a scratch and sniff button on here. The smoke coming out smells awesome.

Last edited:
2A8928BE-F24C-4473-9E9D-DCEC6361C2D5.jpeg
Just for that some one that’s might have asked “ how long can you leave a smoked cured ham in a smokehouse. Here’s a ham that hung in the smoke house from Fed 17- Nov 17. It had a sho-nuf country ham flavor.

just Incase anyone wanted to know.
1- pops cure
2- 11lb fresh ham
3-cured 24 days
4- hanging in the smoke 6hrs a day for 120 days. (Temp never got more than 15deg about outside temp)
5-let it just hang and season for 153days.
6- gambled on the first cut and I think it came out a winner.

It looks real bad... I'll take care of it for you... I specialize in that field... eating meat that is.....

I wish I could send you some Daveomak. It was almost unbearable. Smoke+ pork + a little time= Unbearable ( to let it wait any longer )

I must say dugan, you know what your doing. I'm also very jealous, cuz I want a smoke house like you got.

4- hanging in the smoke 6hrs a day for 120 days.
Now when you say 6hrs a day and outside temps are 15*F, does that mean you bring the shoulder in at night or leave in smoke house?

You also mentioned hang and season for 153 days, is these after the smoking of 120 days, and what temps are you hanging it at?

Thanks guys for all the pos feedback.
Meat Mopper, 120 days I would build a fire and let it smoke for around 6 hour each day. Preferably in the evenings, the 15deg is 15deg above what ever the outside temp was each day. I tried not to let it get too warm because I didn’t want it to sweat any while it was in the smoke house. And it seemed like anything over 15 def it wanted to sweat a little. No sir I left them in the smoke house 24/7. The 153days are just to let it sit in the smoke house and no smoke just the airflow and daily rise and fall of the temps that day. It seemed to really mellow the smoke taste and it was smoked deep. Better than I had expected.

Last edited:
Dugan, morning... Your method of smokin' meat is about as old world as it can get... I love the pictures.. Thanks...

Thank you sir. For years it worked to sustain our forefathers and I don’t see why it can’t work today. I would have to say it is one of if not the most enjoyable hobby that I have. In the process of getttin my bbq concession trailer complete, but I always end up around the smoke house working with it. The payoff is WELL WORTH the effort !! Thanks again guys for the support

How can you wait that long???
In 120 days, I'd have 'taste tested' the whole lot away.

Excellent! And Bravo for the patience!

Thanks guys. It’s was a LONG and tough wait. But was well worth it. Turned out much better than expected.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky