Smoked Whole Chicken using MBE smoker with A-MAZ-N

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wurstmeister

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nothing special tonight. Simple smoked whole chicken from Aldi in the MBE smoker and A-MAZ-N 6X6 tray.

Recipe was simple - spatchcock the chicken, trim excess fat, etc.; used a simple olive oil and lemon pepper rub tonight. Smoked using apple pellets @ 250F for approx. 4 hour in continuous smoke. Finally got a steady thin smoke from the vent today, (2nd time using the maze) and of course, put too many pellets in the maze for the time used. Third time is the charm. LOL! Once at temp, the MBE held within 5 deg F of the set point until I opened it to put the potatoes in. Dropped to 214F and within 25/30 mins was back at 250F. Outside temp was in the upper 90s, so I'm sure that helped as well.

Mrs. Wurtz made some seasoned sweet potatoes to be smoked. Put them in around the 2.5 hour mark. Quick air fried some corn on the cob as a spure of the moment idea.

Anyway, the meal was successful and very tasty with premeditated left overs. The breast top layer under the skin was a little dry (~1/8") but the meat below fell apart just the like the wing, thighs and legs. I oil/butter under the skin like I normally do this time so that didn't help much. The top of the sweet potatoes had a bite to them, didn't cover in foil to steam. Chicken and potatoes had a nice mild smokey flavor to them.

For those using the maze in their MBE smoker, the last two photos show how I positioned the chip feed tray for ventilation: about an 1" from the lock tabs to the smoker body; tray is opening down and top vent fully open. 🍻

John

Starting Point.jpg
4.5 pounder from Aldi

Chicken for smoker.jpg
Spatchcocked and seasoned

Seasoned Sweet Potatoes.jpg
Mrs. Wurtz's Sweet Potatoes

Separation.jpg
Ready to plate

Pated with corn.jpg
Plated

Chip Feeder Opening on the MBE smoker with 6X6 maze

Top Down Chp feeder.jpg
Top down with camera on the smoker box

Opening of chip feeder.jpg
Approx. 1" from nibs to opening

Looks pretty darn good for yard bird. Done right, I like it. Yours looks done right. Like that citrus flavor too.

Looks pretty darn good for yard bird. Done right, I like it. Yours looks done right. Like that citrus flavor too.
Thanks SmokinEdge for the like and compliment. The citrus flavor is Mrs. Wurtz's idea and a favorite spice of hers. This was the first time I used it smoking meat. It turned out really well (Mrs. Wurts was happy!) Nce flavor profile: initial tang followed by a mild black pepper bite to the meat. 🍻
John

Thanks SmokinEdge for the like and compliment. The citrus flavor is Mrs. Wurtz's idea and a favorite spice of hers. This was the first time I used it smoking meat. It turned out really well (Mrs. Wurts was happy!) Nce flavor profile: initial tang followed by a mild black pepper bite to the meat. 🍻
John
Same here with the Mrs. they seem to control everything. I’m now doing straight up lemon chicken with zest on the smoker. ( like I’m Bobby Flay) It’s ok, but I just load up on sides and just a piece of chicken. I’m satisfied and she is happy. Everyone wins.

Reactions: Wurstmeister
gmc2003,JLeonard and SmokinAl Thanks for the compliments and the likes. The next experiment will be the same type/size of chicken only this time on the Carson Rodizio using Oktoberfest Weisen herb seasoning, an injection of Mosel Reuer Reisling wine/stock & stuffing the cavity with parsley and a tart apple to hold the bird steady on the sword. Maybe place a tray of red cabbage salad under the bird for the seasoned drippings and serve as a side. 🍻
John

PPG1 and Bear, Thanks for the compliments and the likes. They are appreciated. I was both surprised and pleased how well the chicken turned out. I think Mrs. Wurtz is on to something with the lemon pepper seasoning, once and a while?! LOL!! Of course a good German Smoked Beer didn't hurt to keep me happy and from fiddling around with the chip tray! 🍻
John

Smoking=German Smoked Beer.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky