Smoked venison roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cj7851

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Wheeling, WV
I have a couple venison top round (top sirloin) roast I am considering smoking. Wondering if anyone has done this and has any tips. My main concern is it coming out dry since there is basically no fat.

Any wild game I smoke or cook is alway rare for that exact reason. My mother always used to roast moose well done, hockey pucks weren’t as tough .

We eat a lot of venison, and I've tried multiple times to smoke it. I have never had satisfactory results. At least consider a brine that includes veg or olive oil, and don't overcook.

I have a couple venison top round (top sirloin) roast I am considering smoking. Wondering if anyone has done this and has any tips. My main concern is it coming out dry since there is basically no fat.

I've done it with good results, but the key was to soot for something like a smoked prime rib so smoking to rare or med rare was the way to go. ALSO I marinated the roast for 24 or more hours to get it good and juicy and flavorful.

You basically smoke it at a lower temp to make sure u get enough smoke on it and then u can up the heat to hit temp. You might also want to think of smoking at a really low temp and then just searing on a hot grill to get to the IT u want for a rare-med rare roast.

Here is my post on the one i did like a prime rib:

Let us know what u decide and how it comes out! :)

Reactions: bertman
I loosely wrap with fatty bacon after rubbing, after a few hours in the smoke into foil, most of the time theres still plenty of fat from the bacon to help keep it moist but if not add liquid of some kind,

Has anybody heard of "lardon" it's the process of injecting strips of fat into lean meats. It seems to be a slightly tricky process in the aspect of not making it to greasy but adding fat and good flavor.

I am thinking of a modified version of this where I make an I injection of bacon grease (just warm enough to be soft) some broth garlic etc.

I have done a few the last few that I've done went in a marinade first then I draped bacon over them to try to help keep them moist and it worked pretty good

Reactions: Stargazer_1118
Has anybody heard of "lardon" it's the process of injecting strips of fat into lean meats. It seems to be a slightly tricky process in the aspect of not making it to greasy but adding fat and good flavor.

I am thinking of a modified version of this where I make an I injection of bacon grease (just warm enough to be soft) some broth garlic etc.

What I have done is make what I call bacon spikes. Lay however many pieces of bacon you want to use on a cookie sheet. Then put in freezer. When frozen cut corner to corner. Put back in freezer. Have a knife that will reach from end to end of roast. Make slits in roast the width of bacon without cutting to outside edge. Kind of like stabbing it. Now you need to be quick on this next step. Pull a spike out of freezer an push into slit. Point first. Pull another spike from freezer an push in from other end of slit. Keep doing this until all slits are done. If some is sticking out no big deal or trim off. Keep doing this until all slits are full. Lay a strip or 2 of bacon on top. Take roast to 142 an pull, wrap in foil & towel for at least 30 minutes Get a carry over temp of 145-147 so bacon is safe to eat. I guess you could pull earlier an pull out spikes but I believe that would be a PITA. Others have also made good suggestions.

I think injecting would be a great idea and then cook to rare / med rare. I’d slice it for lunch meat.

Forgot to get pics before I sliced it. I did end up injecting with beef broth/bacon grease then rubbed down with my own rub. It turned out incredible smoked to 140° and let rest in a cooler. Was like butter so tender and moist practically melted in your mouth.

Attachments

• 20200328_095900.jpg
    20200328_095900.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200328_162417.jpg
    20200328_162417.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200328_162434.jpg
    20200328_162434.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: buzzy and tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky