Smoked Stuffed Peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Growing up, stuffed bell peppers was a regular meal item so I decided to do them with a twist, smoke them. I know they've been done before, but here's my version.

Here's some of the gang that's coming to the party.
thumbnail (5).jpg

Hot sausage and hamburger browned and mixed together.
thumbnail (1).jpg

The peppers cut ready to be stuffed. I've found that cutting them on their side is easier than finding peppers that will stand up on their end.
thumbnail.jpg

Jalapeno peppers, onion, and the tops of the colored peppers all chopped.
thumbnail (6).jpg

I mixed panko bread crumbs, Asiago, parmesan, and mozzarella cheese in with the browned meat and mixed in some all purpose rub.
thumbnail (2).jpg

Next I softened the onions and peppers in a skillet and mixed them in with the meat mix to stuff the peppers. Dusted the tops with some more all purpose rub.
thumbnail (3).jpg

Time to put on the smoker. Got some pecan coals going and away they go to smoke at 250℉.
20210507_165602 (4).jpg

After about 2 hours I topped them with grated extra sharp white cheddar cheese.
thumbnail (7).jpg

They are ready for supper.....
thumbnail (8).jpg

I make ABTs all the time, but for some reason that escapes me, I have never done stuffed bells on the smoker. This makes me want to remedy that ASAP, 'cause those look great.

Never was a fan of Mom's ground beef, rice and onions version. Your's sounds better...JJ

Looks great, I like the red and yellow peppers better than the green which can be bitter some times

Thanks guys for the comments.

I make ABTs all the time, but for some reason that escapes me, I have never done stuffed bells on the smoker. This makes me want to remedy that ASAP, 'cause those look great.
I've always cooked them in the oven, but decided to try something different and figured the smoker would be better. Worked out well because my power went out for about 1 1/2 hours right after I put them on the smoker.
Never was a fan of Mom's ground beef, rice and onions version. Your's sounds better...JJ
That's the version that I grew up eating with tomato sauce or ketchup cooked on top. I'm not a big fan of white rice anyway and besides, I've always got to try something a little bit different different.
Looks great, I like the red and yellow peppers better than the green which can be bitter some times
Green bell peppers are not my favorite, either. Plus, our daughter hates them, but likes the other colors.

Just some thoughts.......
Next time use a little more rub in the meat mixture and on top. I was afraid that with all the cheese, the rub would make it too salty or I could use a salt-free rub. Also will use more jalapenos as they were almost undetectable. There was a little heat, but I think it was primarily from the Tennessee Pride Hot sausage. May top with cooked bacon and then the cheese next time and try a different wood for smoking such as hickory just to see. But everyone was happy with the outcome.

These look great. I do similar in the oven too. Not sure why I’ve never smoked them!! Adding to the list. Thanks for sharing.

My goodness we love & eat stuffed peppers at least once a week. I really don’t know why I never thought to smoke them. But next week I will give it a try, cause yours sure look good!!!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky