• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seanysmokes

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Havent posted in awhile so here is one from tonight steak tacos! Basically did a reverse-sear by smoking until the IT hit 120 then pulled it and seared on a hot grill for 2 minutes each side. The result was incredibly tender and flavorful meat from an otherwise sub-par piece of defrosted freezer meat!

Recipe:
1.5 lb London broil
1 lime
4 cloves garlic
1/2 c chopped cilantro
2 tbs EVOO
Enough kosher salt to liberally cover one side of steak

1. Rinse steak and pat dry. Sprinkle enough kosher salt on ONE side of the meat so that it is mostly covered but not completely white. Rest in fridge uncovered for one hour.
2. Chop your cilantro and mince the garlic. Chop the long stems off the entire bunch of cilantro and put aside along with the scraps from the garlic as these will go directly on top of your coals or chips!
3. Remove steak from fridge, rinse thoroughly to remove salt and pat dry. Place in gallon freezer bag and pour in EVOO. Mush bag around to distribute oil evenly then add chopped cilantro, garlic and juice from one lime and mix around until coated. Put lime rinds into bowl with the saved garlic & cilantro scraps and put steak in fridge for half hour.
4. Heat smoker to 225 and get wood smoking. I used 30 min soaked pecan chips as I did not want too heavy of a smoke but apple would also be great. Also threw two cups of water into water tray to keep chamber moist. I have a gas smoker so I put the scraps of cilantro, lime, garlic right on top of my chips in the tray.
5. Remove steak from bag and place into smoker leaving as many chunks of garlic and cilantro on as possible. Insert digital probe into middle and smoke steak until IT reaches one level below your desired temperature. I like my steak med rare-med so I smoked until IT was rare.
6. When steak is 15 degrees under desired temp, begin to heat a grill to prepare for searing.
7. Pull steak when it reaches temp and sear 2-3 minutes on each side with grill closed. I did a criss-cross pattern so I did 1 min, turned, then 1 more min before flipping and repeating.
8. When searing is complete, pull your BEEF and let rest for 10-15 minutes before cubing for tacos or slicing for sandwiches or whatever you want! Enjoy!

Not sure if placing the scraps of cilantro, garlic and lime had a tremendous effect on the result but they were burnt to a crisp after smoking was complete and the steak was so unbelievably delicious I will continue to do it every time!!

Pictures: after smoking, after searing, after eating!

Attachments

• 418CE93D-106E-47B3-A4E5-5739452E4B56.jpeg
    418CE93D-106E-47B3-A4E5-5739452E4B56.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 29
  • ED73BF14-C29F-4521-8222-40D3846D9ED8.jpeg
    ED73BF14-C29F-4521-8222-40D3846D9ED8.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 40EA121D-BD1D-4D4A-90E3-CFF38CD7E74F.jpeg
    40EA121D-BD1D-4D4A-90E3-CFF38CD7E74F.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Thanks Mike, it was amazing on some warm corn tortillas with fresh red onion, cilantro, cheese and sour cream!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky