Smoked "Rolled Roast" with q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokerdownunder

Original poster
Alright, presenting my first q-view to you guys!
I smoked this "rolled roast" (A thick, flat strip cut off the rump and rolled up to form a roast) in my smoker yesterday and thought 'd show it off.

I left it in for 8 hours, pulled it out just before 175*F and it was just perfect!

I used my own rub-down recipe on the outside, and Australian Stringybark as the smoking wood (wonder how many have heard of that!)

The first picture is of the roast just about to go in the smoker, and the second is it just being carved after about 8 hours in a 225*F smoker.
67f60bfe_vbattach15903.jpg

b90f8fc5_vbattach15902.jpg

Nice! As far as the wood, probably as many here as Aussies have heard of alder... but you guys DO grow some weird stuff down there, 'Roos and platypus and those funky lookin' sloths

ahhh........the old stringybark.........a eucalyptus type of tree

Eucalyptus obliqua, commonly known as Australian Oak, Brown Top, Brown Top Stringbark, Messmate, Messmate Stringybark, Stringybark and Tasmanian Oak,[1] is an hardwood tree native to south-eastern Australia.Eucalyptus obliqua, commonly known as Australian Oak, Brown Top, Brown Top Stringbark, Messmate, Messmate Stringybark, Stringybark and Tasmanian Oak,[1] is an hardwood tree native to south-eastern Australia.

Looks great!! Thanks for sharing the Q-view!

So, this Australian Stringybark... do you use it in chunks with charcoal, or splits, or ???

In regard to your question, HawgHeaven, i used to (with my old smoker) preburn it then cut it up into chunks or chip it, then yes just burn it slowly on a bed of hot coals. With my new setup, i actually preburn, then "shave" it and collect the shavings and sawdust. I place the shavings and dust into the bottom of the smoker and the result is thin blue smoke every time, seeing as the smoker barrel is heated from underneath. If that makes sense haha

And thankyou to you all for the great comments! I'll try to do something else when i can, however dry conditions and restrictions on open fires here have halted my smoking efforts for now (Hmm, propane/electric is in my mind at the moment!)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky