Smoked Pork Shoulder and Baked Beans with QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lav25

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Pulled pork will be on the menu tomorrow, but we're having it at the inlaws, so I've got to cook it today. I got a ~5lb pork shoulder, but thought that that would be a bit much (there are only 4 of us eating), so I split it into two.

The one on the left was rubbed and ziplocked with something I found in a mason jar in my pantry, labeled in my handwriting "Smoker BBQ Rub." God only knows when I made it or what recipe I was following, but it tasted fine, so.

The one on the right I decided to do with a Szechuan rub. I'm in Asia, why not? I'll make a sauce for it later.

Going in.jpg

For the first time, I decided to add baked beans to the meal. I found a recipe online that was using canned baked beans as a base, but those aren't available here (I'd have to go up to Kyoto, I think) so I got some kidney beans and what I'm fairly sure are Navy beans, but the import food store only stocks beans from Poland (?), so I'm not positive.

Bean Cans.jpg

The recipe I found has dark rum in it, which sounds interesting, so I've got the beans set up to do the drip-catching:

In the Smoker.jpg

And we're off, see you in a few hours!

Attachments

• Going in.jpg
    Going in.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: mike243
The stall, the stall. Each piece is about 2.75lbs and they've been in there for nine hours at 225. Well, 8 at 225, I kicked it up to 240 when they got to 180 about an hour ago. Beans are good though.

10 hours for the one, 12 hours for the other, split from a 5.5lb original.

Spectacular bark, but pics tomorrow, past my bedtime.

Szechuan spiced, took ten hours:

20190810_202121.jpg

BBQ spiced, took 12 hours:

BBQ2.jpg

BBQ3.jpg

No pics of beans, because, well, beans. Also made cornbread, cucumber and onion salad, and there will be corn on the cob. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• BBQ2.jpg
    BBQ2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: drdon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky