1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoked Pork Chops

Discussion in 'Pork' started by Cathy in Washington, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Years ago I made smoked pork chops out of the Little Chief Smoker book.They were great and just a brine of brown sugar, salt and water..I have the newer book and can't find the same recipe.Can anyone help me? I just need ingredient measurements, time for brining and time needed to smoke. I fry these once smoked so not looking for fully cooked.. they make the best gravy!
    thank you

2. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Welcome to SMF.com Cathy!

1gal water
    1/2C salt
    1C brown sugar
    Brine overnight

Smoke with favorite wood at 225'-250' to an IT of 110'-115'.
    Then immediately go to the grill or frying pan and finish at an IT of 140'-145'.
    Serve piping hot.

3. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Be sure to use Kosher salt, sea salt, or non-iodized table salt. If you use the iodized stuff the meat can taste metallic.

4. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit

What I use is much like chile's salt wise,I use apple juice in mine.

1 qt -32 oz apple juice,no added sugar
    1/4 C salt - Kosher or sea
    1/4 C brown sugar
    2 tsp black pepper
    1/2-1 tsp red pepper flake

I bring this just to a simmer stir to wake up the peppers and let cool before adding chops.
    Brine overnight to ~ 24 hrs.I normally put in a gallon zip bag,devoid of air,when doing 4 Fat chops.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/fat-chops.270335/

5. Thank you!! this looks like the one I was looking for.One more question..do you use light or dark brown sugar? my mouth is watering already.
    thanks again!
    Cathy

6. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Light or dark, it doesn't really matter, you could use raw sugar too.

7. garmp

garmp Newbie

For what it's worth, here's my recipe for 4 i-1/8" chops.
    Brined thick pork chops
    2 quarts water
    1/2 cup kosher salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup Maple syrup
    4 teaspoons pink curing salt
    1 bunch basil
    1 bunch thyme
    1 garlic clove, peeled & smashed

Will fill 2 gallon zip lock bags for 4 thick pork chops.
    250° for 2 hours. 145° IT on Rec Tec pellet smoker with Oak pellete

8. kawboy

kawboy Smoking Fanatic

This is our favorite one lately. I add a little wood to the coals.

1/4 cup honey

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1 teaspoon ground cumin (I like to use chili powder)

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Eight 1/2-inch bone-in pork chops (about 3 ounces each)

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Begin by making the marinade. In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, oil, vinegar, cumin and red pepper flakes. Easy, right?
    2. Sprinkle both sides of the pork chops with salt and pepper and place in a re-sealable plastic bag with the marinade. Let rest on the counter for 1 hour. That's easy.
    3. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. Remove the pork chops from the bag and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on the grill and cook until the pork chop releases from the grill, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for another 3 minutes. If using a grill pan, be sure to do in batches so you don't steam the chops. And don't worry if you have neither; you can do this in a pan. See, easy!

9. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Do you want your chops with a pork taste or a ham taste? The difference is whether to add curing salt to your brine. Curing salt gives the pork the 'hammy' flavor. Don't need to add much; 1 heaping tablespoon (1 oz.) per gallon of water.