Smoked Northern - Q-view finished pic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ragnar

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 2, 2016
Wisconsin
My father-in-law is headed out fishing soon, and asked me to smoke up a few fillets of Northern he had in his freezer to see if we want to smoke up what he catches, which, for the destination he's headed, is usually Northern, Perch, and Walleye. He's all but inhaled every ounce of Salmon I've sent his way, so he's excited to try something else.

I forgot to take pre-smoke photos, but here's a decent pic of the after:

Prior to curing, these were fully defrosted in the fridge, rinsed thoroughly with water, patted dry.

I did the usual 4c brown sugar to 1c non-iodized table salt to 1 Tbsp black pepper cure for about 10 hours. REALLY drew a lot of liquid out.

Rinsed off in warm water and left for an hour to develop a nice, sticky pellicle. Meanwhile, preheated the smoker to 200F.

Smoked at 200F for 3 hours, applying 80 minutes of smoke, starting 20 minutes in. Alder wood was the "poison of choice" - we like the mild flavor it gives the fish. The fillets were only about 1/2" thick, maybe a little thicker, at the meatiest parts, and had the skin removed. The very edges, where the flesh was really thin, are a bit jerky-like, but also really tasty and not overly tough. I'd prefer to leave the skins on, but these were already done.

Usually, I'm not a huge fish fan, but I'll confess... there's a chunk missing from one of these now. The brown sugar left a little bit of a lingering sweetness that blends wonderfully with the Alder smoke.

He's going to be a happy guy (assuming his daughter doesn't eat it all first!).

Very tasty looking, I will be trying that this summer, love going to the hayward area, for the crappies and walleyes, and plan on pickling some northern this summer too. Nothing better than that firm white meat. Great job. from another cheesehead. 

Appreciate it, Al!

Got a suggestion for a dip recipe? Sounds like it'd be worth trying!
  Don't really have a recipe per se.

We just mix up some mayo, cream cheese, a little hot sauce, & green onions in a food processor until creamy.

Then put the fish in & pulse it until you get the consistency you want.

We don't pulse it too much because we like to taste little bites of fish in the dip.

Sorry I don't have a written recipe.

Al

Ragnar, I smoked a pike myself, and had very similar results.  The thinner parts of the fillet (tail area) was more like a jerky, but the flavor was awesome.  I think the next one I do, I will just chunk the pike like a salmon, with the skin on.  I think the skin will help keep the meat more moist.  I have been doing whole trout with the head on, and they turn out fabulous. 

That fish dip sounds darn good too, thanks Al. 

Don't really have a recipe per se.

We just mix up some mayo, cream cheese, a little hot sauce, & green onions in a food processor until creamy.

Then put the fish in & pulse it until you get the consistency you want.

We don't pulse it too much because we like to taste little bites of fish in the dip.

Sorry I don't have a written recipe.

Al
Thanks, Al! 

Often, those "non-recipes" are the best recipes. We'll be giving this a shot in the near future.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky