Smoked my first meat for the first time yesterday!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chris napier

Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
I have been wanting to try out smoking meat for a while and just havent forked out the money for a smoker.... Well I went to my local Academy Sports and saw a Smoke Hollow Propane smoker and decided to purchase it... Found out that it was the last one they had and it had a dent so I got it at a VERY GOOD price!!! I smoked two around 5 lb Boston Butts.... I rubbed them around 9 Friday night and put them in the smoker around 8:45 Saturday morning... I had a hard time controling temp because the gauge on the outside the smoker is WAY off... So i had to fiddle with the knob all day to make sure it wasnt getting cooked to fast or to slow... I ended up taking them off the smoker around 6 PM... I really didnt want to cook them that long... But Oh well... the meat turned out delicious and I am now addicted!!!!
59a16155_SAM_1243.jpg
93e4acb6_SAM_1244.jpg
ee84e0bf_SAM_1246.jpg

welcome1.gif
  to SMF Chris, You have found out that the thermo's that come on most smokers aren't very accurate.Use the search tool and you can find alot of good info.

I use the Maverick ET-73 and it works great.

Congrats on your first smoke 
thumb.gif

Well done for a first time. You must have read alot! Qview even, nice! Next time look in the wiki for soflaquers finishing sauce & you will not believe what it does for pp!!

Chris, welcome to SMF, we are really glad to have you with us!  Those Butt's look great, I hope you enjoyed them!  May I make a couple of suggestions to you since you are just getting started with smoking meat?  I would encourage you to take advantage of Jeff's (the web-site owner and Master of the Pit) 5 Day Free E-COURSE on Smoking meat.  I had been smoking meat for about 6 years when I got it and I really learned a lot from it, things I had never though about!  You can use the SEARCH BAR near the top of the page to find information on about any subject you might have an interest in.  It is connected to all of the topics that have been posted about on this site.  The WIKI section also has a ton of information in it and is very easy to use, while on the WIKI section may I encourage you to go to the letter A on the main WIKI page select Acronyms and make you a copy of this page as it will help you understand some of the things we use to refer to things besides their proper names. Chris, most importantly, we are here to help you, and the only dumb question that you can ask here.....is the one you do not ask!  Again, glad to have you with us and congratulations on your first smoke, from what I see, it was a success.

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

Welcome to smf glad to have ya!! Tons of info here and great members too. Great looking PP for your first time,now that your hooked just stand up in front of the group and share youre feelings!! LOL. Thats how these support groups work! 

Thanks Guys... It was a lot of fun... I went over Jeff Phillips' 5 day E-course about 20 times probably to make sure I did it right! I didnt want to make a rub my first time so I just bought a BBQ rum from academy Sports... I smoked the butts with OAK chunks mixed in with Apple wood chips... It came out of the smoker with an 1/8-1/4 inch smoke ring.... I think I might try some Ribs this weekend..... any suggestions on rubs or how to smoke them or anything would be greatly appreciated!

xrocker.gif

Well Chris your first smoke looks great and I know you will be smoking again really soon too. It all comes with the Addiction.

Chris i started out with that same smoker. Found the temp gauge was not accurate at all. I went to the mavrick et-73 dual probe and and ignored the supplied temp gauge.  I did have to make minor adjustments throughout long smoke. It did serve me pretty good for 2 years till i moved up to a diffrent smoker.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your first smoke, looks good.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Chris, If you have gone over Jeff's e-course you are definitely on the right track.  I have done a lot of ribs in my time and the best wood I have found, and the wood my folks all seem to like the best is Hickory, it gives a good familiar flavor to the ribs and is in my opinion the best meat smoking wood.  That's my 2 cents worth, I am sure someone will come along soon with another recommendation.

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky