SMOKED MEATLOAF w/ my new FIREBOARD REMOTE THERMOMETER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just to clarify, the issue I keep having with my Mavs is they eventually start to get way off temp, so all the sudden I start turning out bad meat nad realize my probe isn't working good anymore after testing. Then I get a new one and still have issues so had to replace the whole unit.

Hey Al,
So are you still using the Fireboard on most of your cooks? You still like and recommend it? Im considering adding it to the list of eventual purchases once I can find an excuse to get it. Ive gone through 2 Maveric units, and 4 Mav probes, and I treat the units and probes very carefully! not sure if ive just been getting duds or what, but ive already spent near $200 on Maveric stuff, so this might be my next purchase. Ive been debating between this or the iGrill one, but that one has mixed reviews.

Check out my review of it here

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/261541/fireboard-review/0_40#post_1695358

Hey Al,

So are you still using the Fireboard on most of your cooks? You still like and recommend it? Im considering adding it to the list of eventual purchases once I can find an excuse to get it. Ive gone through 2 Maveric units, and 4 Mav probes, and I treat the units and probes very carefully! not sure if ive just been getting duds or what, but ive already spent near $200 on Maveric stuff, so this might be my next purchase. Ive been debating between this or the iGrill one, but that one has mixed reviews.
Yes I use it all the time.

I would definitely recommend it as the best therm out there right now.

Brian just did a test on one too & I think he agrees with me on it being the best choice.

Al

He Al, could you answer a question about your firebrand? Specifically the probes. Im thinking about the Hole in my smoker I feed the probes through. The bulbous  part in the probe, is it made to come apart? If not could you tell me what the diameter is? 

wayne

Al, you've disappointed me. I thought you were one of the folks I could trust. One who would do the right thing over and above self promotion and grandstanding.
But here you are, if front of God and everybody, smoking a meatloaf without a bacon wrap. For shame!!

I kid. The meatloaf looks amazing and the comments on the thermo were just what I needed. It looks like a great unit, but I'm a "keep it simple" kinda guy, so when I replace my prematurely deceased Maverick I think the Smoke will fit my needs just fine. The other capabilities look great, but would be wasted on me as I don't have wifi where I do most of my smoking and am generally within 20 feet of my smoker the whole time.

Thanks for another great looking meal and an HONEST intro to a new smoking gadget.

By the way, how was the pie?

Al, you've disappointed me. I thought you were one of the folks I could trust. One who would do the right thing over and above self promotion and grandstanding.
But here you are, if front of God and everybody, smoking a meatloaf without a bacon wrap. For shame!!
LLBy the way, how was the pie?

HA!!! Good one!!!!! LOL

Afraid I have to agree with you on not hetting one though. I'm a pretty low tech guy--I have enough trouble just using my Mav 733.

I was kinda wondering about the pie too 'cause I'm definitely a desert kind of guy.

Gary

He Al, could you answer a question about your firebrand? Specifically the probes. Im thinking about the Hole in my smoker I feed the probes through. The bulbous  part in the probe, is it made to come apart? If not could you tell me what the diameter is? 

wayne
Hi Wayne,

No the probes don't come apart.

On my Lang the probe port is big enough to get the meat probe thru, but

I have just been shutting the lid on the wires. So far that hasn't been a problem.

I don't like to use a probe hole for the meat anyway, because you have to take the probe out of the meat to get it out of the smoker.

I prefer to leave the probe in until the meat has rested. Too many times I've pulled the probe out early, only to watch a bunch of juice run right out the hole.

I just measured the thickest part & it's 3/8" thick.

Only the meat probe has that thick part, for some reason the pit probe doesn't.

Hope this helps!

Al

I kid. The meatloaf looks amazing and the comments on the thermo were just what I needed. It looks like a great unit, but I'm a "keep it simple" kinda guy, so when I replace my prematurely deceased Maverick I think the Smoke will fit my needs just fine. The other capabilities look great, but would be wasted on me as I don't have wifi where I do most of my smoking and am generally within 20 feet of my smoker the whole time.

Thanks for another great looking meal and an HONEST intro to a new smoking gadget.

By the way, how was the pie?
Ha Ha!

I was trying to keep it somewhat healthy, so no bacon this time.

The Smoke is a fantastic unit & definitely a big step up from a Maverick!

The pie was awesome. I sometimes forget how good a baker Judy is.

I think sometimes I just take her delicious baked goods for granted!

I apologize Judy for forgetting to mention how good the pie was.

Al
HA!!! Good one!!!!! LOL

Afraid I have to agree with you on not hetting one though. I'm a pretty low tech guy--I have enough trouble just using my Mav 733.

I was kinda wondering about the pie too 'cause I'm definitely a desert kind of guy.

Gary
Maverick has been around so long & there are so many units out there that just about everybody has one or two.

I have a couple of them & your right they work just fine, and if your careful with the probe wires they will last a good while too.

It's just been lately that a bunch of new therms have hit the market and this particular one really stands out in my opinion.

But you know what you can get great results with a $3 oven therm on the grate & a $5 meat thermometer.

It's the cook that makes the great Q!!

Oh and the pie was fantastic, just like everything Judy bakes!

Al

Al

Thanks Al...it was my first ever, but I put allot of thought into this one. I wanted something I could cook super slow to get a smoke ring, so I went big. This also allowed me to get it about 10 degrees from my goal IT then crank it up and crisp up the bacon without spiking the temp internally.

I also added less cracker than normal, but added a package of onion gravy mix. I knew this would help absorb and keep the moisture inside while adding some flavor. It tasted better than it looked.

Thanks Al...it was my first ever, but I put allot of thought into this one. I wanted something I could cook super slow to get a smoke ring, so I went big. This also allowed me to get it about 10 degrees from my goal IT then crank it up and crisp up the bacon without spiking the temp internally.

I also added less cracker than normal, but added a package of onion gravy mix. I knew this would help absorb and keep the moisture inside while adding some flavor. It tasted better than it looked.
Well if it tasted better than it looked, then it must have been fantastic!

Al

Say Al,

Have you learned what the "auxiliary" plug is for?  It would be great if it could be used for a temp controller.
From what I have been told, it will have multiple uses.

And yes one of them will be a temp controller, which can be used with a Guru fan.

So if you already have a Guru setup you can just plug the fan into the FireBoard, with an adapter & have all the info on your phone.

Which should include changing the pit temp with your phone.

It sounds like a perfect setup to me.

Al

Last edited:

From what I have been told, it will have multiple uses.

And yes one of them will be a temp controller, which can be used with a Guru fan.

So if you already have a Guru setup you can just plug the fan into the FireBoard, with an adapter & have all the info on your phone.

Which should include changing the pit temp with your phone.

It sounds like a perfect setup to me.

Al
Thanks Al 
icon14.gif
  It sounds like they have really put a lot of thought into this unit.

I enjoy an afternoon smoking but am too fidgety to sit next to the smoker for the entire time.  Having remote read out and control while I do other things is a big plus to me.

I own the ill fated Thermoworks bluetooth unit,  (VERY disappointing), and a Maverick, and a Thermoworks Smoke as well.  The Smoke is decent but I've had trouble with the probes that it uses.  (Own several of their "Dots" as well which use those probes.)  The Fireboard sounds like a positive evolution and compared to Thermoworks prices, looks like a good value to me.

For those who already have one, or for those still on the fence; Fireboard has released pre-order for its waterproof case today. Shipping will start the week of July 31st.

The waterproof case is a nice addition, and will no doubt keep the unit much safer than without it.

Sorry to post here, but this was a nice review, as well as the place I first seen the Fireboard and decided to purchase it for myself.

Last edited:

For those who already have one, or for those still on the fence; Fireboard has released pre-order for its waterproof case today. Shipping will start the week of July 31st.

The waterproof case is a nice addition, and will no doubt keep the unit much safer than without it.

Sorry to post here, but this was a nice review, as well as the place I first seen the Fireboard and decided to purchase it for myself.
Thanks for the heads up DGF.

That definitely will make a good therm even better!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky