Smoked Mac and Cheese Loaded with a side of Legs ( +pics )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Smoked Mac and Cheese Loaded with a side of Cured Chicken Legs ( Many Pics )

Main meal was just going to be the Mac and Cheese with smoked hamburger and layer of bacon, and silly amounts of cheese
Process below the picture of the Mac and the cured legs
DSC_5536.JPG

Started off with 2 pounds of hamburger smoked in the smoker 45-55 minutes at 225deg. with a new Black Cherry chips thought they would be stronger , but sadly not
Also cooked up in the CI 1 pound of bacon chopped small. drained both when cooked, Hamburger picked up little colour.
1.JPG 2.JPG 4.JPG
DSC_5496.JPG 3.JPG
5.JPG

Made a roux of butter and flour, than added 1 can of evaporated milk , blended in 5 cups med cheddar , added cheese sauce to the noodles and then hamburger mixed all
Placed in a greased pan half full and added 1 more cup of cheddar, filled the tray with the rest of the noodle cheese mix. Topped with 1/2 cup of cheddar and the cooked bacon.
Into the smoker at 275 deg. with the black cherry for 1 1/2 hours. Removed and topped with 5 cups of Mozza for an other half hour., under the broiler for 10 minutes to get little more golden
6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

So while this was happening i had a bucket of legs in a brine in the fridge ( 36 legs ) 8 pounds , had to figure out for the cure #1
9.JPG

My reg. brine. They went in the smoker after the hamburger was done , smoked with the same Black Cherry . Running this for all the smokes today.. Still thought it would be stronger.
10.JPG 11.JPG
12.JPG 13.JPG
14.JPG DSC_5533 - Copy.JPG

When all done I through the wings on the grill to glaze with onion BBQ sauce and help crisp the skin a little
Had Mona's potato salad and her fantastic fresh macaroni salad I did not get a grill shot of the legs , so a close up of my plate will have to do .
DSC_5533.JPG

DSC_5536.JPG

We had 7 for supper and everyone was happy, or so they said . lol

Thanks for looking , Hope everyone had a great Labour day weekend

David

Attachments

• DSC_5532.JPG
    DSC_5532.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 4a.JPG
    4a.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 8
What an awesome looking meal!! That mac and cheese and that chicken looks delicious!!! Love the salads too! Great pictures, thanks for sharing this!!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
The mac and cheese looks great, unfortunately we do not eat enough chicken here, looks very good as well. Nice dinner.

Thanks for the like and the comment

The Mac and Ch was great , with all the smoker burger in it and bacon and ex. cheese

Chicken was just a bonus to have with it

David

Great write up, pics look great, meal sounds wonderful.....I give you a 10 out of 10!!!!!

Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for the love and the comment

Awwww, I was going for a 12 , I guess I will take the 10, lol thank you
Was great and glad I added the smoked burger, added more smoke to the middle of the whole dish

David

Reactions: TH-n-PA
What an awesome looking meal!! That mac and cheese and that chicken looks delicious!!! Love the salads too! Great pictures, thanks for sharing this!!

Thanks for the like and the comment
It was a hit with all that were here for the meal. I was very happy with the Mav and Ch.
there were 4 people that came that never had the brined chicken before . And they were amazed at the texture and the flavor of it.
And Monas fresh mac salad is always a hit with me.

David

David,
That looks absolutely fantastic! The color on those legs- Wow!

- Jason

Thanks Jason for the like and the comment

Yes great meal and yes the onion bbq sauce made nice colour on the legs I think you mean the finish,)
They are almost as good as when I use my Cherry/Rhubarb Jam as a glaze on chicken

David

Reactions: millerbuilds
Looks like an awesome meal David! Can see why it was filling. Love the color of golden cheese on the mac and cheese!

Ryan

Jeez David, I don't know what to say. that is one amazing looking plate of food. What an excellent presentation. It was almost like I was there sitting down to a plate...and all those offerings...WOW!! Very well done sir.

Robert

Jeez David, I don't know what to say. that is one amazing looking plate of food. What an excellent presentation. It was almost like I was there sitting down to a plate...and all those offerings...WOW!! Very well done sir.

Robert

Thanks Robert for the like and the comment

It was a great meal , and you are welcome to sit at my table anytime

And A little something for you down on the bar, lol
DSC_5553.JPG

David

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky