Smoked Hatch Green Chile Cabbage Roll Casserole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
My cousin posted a Cabbage Roll Casserole the other day that looked so good. Used it for inspiration.

Roasted some Hot and mild Hatch Peppers. Used one hot and 3 mild.

20230817_075941.jpg 20230817_091524.jpg

Smoked couple 1/2 lb burgers and cabbage wedges. Cabbage was coated in bacon fat. These burgers where so good I will making them this weekend. I learned a new trick recently on making burgers. Use a cookie cutter and just drop pieces of meat in ring than when full press down.

20230817_103722.jpg 20230817_111642.jpg

Got everything prepped

20230817_111648.jpg

Saute onions and sweet peppers than add garlic and Hatch peppers.

20230817_113348.jpg 20230817_113453.jpg

Added cabbage and cooked for 10 minutes. Decided to add couple over ripe tomatoes. Added beef and another 10. Needed to cook out some liquid so about 10 minutes no cover.

20230817_115533.jpg

Add 2 cups sharp cheese and cover about 5 minutes until melted. Work the cheese into mixture. I add a good dose of my hot sauce. I am really liking that stuff. Came out a bit mild but man you get that habanero flavor without adding any burn. My friends that will be getting some of this can't take to much spice so I have to tone it down for them. Not the prettiest plated but wow was it good. The smoke really came through!

20230817_121409.jpg 20230817_124426.jpg

Last edited:
Looks and sounds really good Brian.

Point for sure
Chris

Man oh man, what a creative and fun dish. I can only guess that the flavor combination was fantastic. You got the cogs turning again....you enabler you :emoji_laughing:
Not the prettiest plated but wow was it good.
I can relate!! Recently I've posted some ugly meals that were really good. They don't have to be pretty to be delicious.

Robert

Man you had my mouth watering at the burger and cabbage on the grill. By time I got to the finish I was looking for a towel!
That is a dang good looking plate, I dont care what you say!

Jim

Hatch Hatch Hatch! I keep seeing so many good cooks on this site but do not see those chilies available in So Cal (other than canned).

After a bit of looking I see the Anaheim's are the equivalent over here. I know them well and will make something like it work very soon.

anaheim_peppers.jpg

Hatch Hatch Hatch! I keep seeing so many good cooks on this site but do not see those chilies available in So Cal (other than canned).

After a bit of looking I see the Anaheim's are the equivalent over here. I know them well and will make something like it work very soon.

View attachment 673851
Those will work. Season about over here. Need to go to store for one more batch.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
You know what I find really funny? I have bought green chilies for years and love them in lots of dishes. It kind of slapped me in the face a few days ago when I actually looked at the label.

hatch_chilies.jpg

Boy this got spicy after sitting a day. My friends might have a hard time with this one. Braved the 110 degree heat on the river today to give them the left overs.

My cousin posted a Cabbage Roll Casserole the other day that looked so good. Used it for inspiration.

Roasted some Hot and mild Hatch Peppers. Used one hot and 3 mild.

View attachment 673820View attachment 673819

Smoked couple 1/2 lb burgers and cabbage wedges. Cabbage was coated in bacon fat. These burgers where so good I will making them this weekend. I learned a new trick recently on making burgers. Use a cookie cutter and just drop pieces of meat in ring than when full press down.

View attachment 673818 View attachment 673817

Got everything prepped

View attachment 673816

Saute onions and sweet peppers than add garlic and Hatch peppers.

View attachment 673815View attachment 673814

Added cabbage and cooked for 10 minutes. Decided to add couple over ripe tomatoes. Added beef and another 10. Needed to cook out some liquid so about 10 minutes no cover.

View attachment 673813

Add 2 cups sharp cheese and cover about 5 minutes until melted. Work the cheese into mixture. I add a good dose of my hot sauce. I am really liking that stuff. Came out a bit mild but man you get that habanero flavor without adding any burn. My friends that will be getting some of this can't take to much spice so I have to tone it down for them. Not the prettiest plated but wow was it good. The smoke really came through!

View attachment 673812View attachment 673811
Looks great!!

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky