Smoked Ham with Q-View, inspired by SmokinAl

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teeznuts

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Central Cali
After seeing SmokinAl's recent ham thread, http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/111737/another-ham-on-the-wsm#post_697426  , myself and others have been mesmerized by the color or "strange glow" as someone commented. You guys are going to think I'm CRAZY for this , but every time I went back to his thread to look at his ham, I couldn't help but think of a fiery sunrise/sunset depending on what coast you live on. The color in his ham looked like this painting by my favorite artist, Christian Lassen.

efc0572f_islandromance.jpg

Maybe I'm NUTS but this is what comes to mind. Maybe I've been in the smoke too long.

Anyway this inspired me to buy a "ready to cook" ham last night and inject it with maple syrup. I also rubbed the outside with a coat of maple syrup. It rested in the fridge over night and this morning it went in the MES at 225 til it hit 162. It was smoked with cherry. I also cold smoked some cheese in the little chief with the AMNPS while the ham was cooking.

e583d044_IMGP3040.jpg
f1860e75_IMGP3054.jpg
421a451d_IMGP3065.jpg
d6f0cd1a_IMGP3062.jpg
85af806e_IMGP3067.jpg
ec85a5f1_IMGP3069.jpg
4bcdfc8b_IMGP3072.jpg

Look at all the future sammies here!

bee770d0_IMGP3080.jpg

Dinner was a sammie(calling it my sunset sammie) consisiting of tonights smoked ham, yesterdays smoked turkey, some BBB from a recent smoke and some smoked cheddar that I smoked last month. Smoked cheese spreads like a dream after a few minutes under the broiler. A side of Au Gratin taters to round it out.

7b8ab3b8_IMGP3082.jpg

Bear View

764e4755_IMGP3085.jpg

Last edited:
The ham looks fantastic -- such rich color.  And that sandwich.....a piece of art if I have ever seen one!  

Dang, Tee!

You knocked that one outta the park!  Good for you tackling a raw ham.  I've "reheated" a bunch in the smoker.  Been playing around with curing ham steaks this summer and may have to just pick me up a ham after seeing this post.

Great job

Ahhhh  Teeezhopper, SmokinAl has taught you well !!!!

Your Ham is most Beautiful !!!!

Thanks for the views,

Bear

You even managed to lure Tracy in from afar.  
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
That is fabulous!!!

MMMMMMM!

Craig

Wholey Smoke.

Now that is a nice lookin ham. Guess I know what I will be lookin for next.

Very nice job. and just think, I am only gonna have beef ribs for dinner.

Is that a "Party Sammy" or just for you?

Great Job Once Again!

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky