Smoked Halibut Taco's w/Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke_chef

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 22, 2008
Marble Falls, AR
So, last July my two brother-in-laws and I went on a Alaska fishing trip. We had a blast. I decided to smoke some Halibut for taco's and they turned out great!

Here we are on the charter. This was so fun!

Here's our bounty for the day... Did I mention this was so fun!

Here's the Halibut after being in the marinade for 35 minutes.

Here it is smoked and ready to eat. I smoked at 300 and it took about 34 minutes to get to temp. I pulled it out at 144.

Ahh... the finished product. It was delicious! My Father-in-Law who is from SoCal said they were the "Bomb".

Of course, you have to have the sides... this homemade salsa and homemade guacamole. I also made a flavored sour cream that didn't make the picture but made the taco extra awesome!

The marinade I used was:
Juice of two limes
Juice of half an orange
1/4 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp CBP
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tbs honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil

I left the skin on for protection and smoked it skin side down without flipping

Next time I will up the garlic a bit but everything else seemed about right. Also.. next time I will smoke at 225 for a longer smoke so it picks up more of the smoky goodness.

My flavored sour cream was:

3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 Mayo
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp white pepper
juice of half a lime
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic

Mix then chill for 30 minutes before use. Or, you can do this ahead of time. The left overs the next day were even better than the first.

As always... I welcome any feedback, suggestions, comments...
I hope you enjoyed this post.
Now... let's go light up the smoker!

Looks Tasty! We do fish tacos all the time. Didn't get any halibut last season so we had to settle for lingcod! Nothing wrong with that!

So now I know what to do with all the Halibut I'll be bringing back from my Alaska trip this coming fall.   Thanks for sharing.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky