Smoked Duck

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by frag monger, Nov 20, 2006.

1. I'm planning on smoking a few ducks for Thanksgiving dinner. I picked up two whole, fresh ducks at my butcher shop.

I plan to marinade/brine them for about 2 days in a pineapple/guava teriyaki style marinade (I plan to water it down just a bit & add some salt to the marinade/brine).

Any tips on doing duck? I'm assuming it will take about the same amount of time as smoking chickens.

Any tips on the marinade? Does what I have there sound OK to you?

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

2. I assume you know to ***** the skin all over so that the fat can be rendered out? [​IMG]

3. No. I did not know that! Thank you! (This is my first time ever doing duck).

I never do that with my chickens & they seem to come out great. Am I supposed to do that w/ chicken too?

Any other things I should be aware of when smoking duck?

4. Anyone? Any other things about smoking a duck I need to know?

Please reply, the ducks are going into the brine/marinade tonight.....

Thanks. :)

5. No, your chickens are fine, it’s just that a duck has a layer of fat under the skin, so it can swim around ice chunks in your local ponds. Are you aware that duck is all dark meat? I like that ! 8)

p.s. I can’t think of anything else that could be a problem, except you will want to crank up your smoker towards the end to get that skin crispy, unless of coarse you like rubber skin!

6. OK, thanks.

The ducks are in - skin pricked all over. ;)

They've been in for about 2 hours now at about 230. I'd take a pic to post, but it's pouring down rain here (Seattle).

I have 'before' pics & will take after pics on the kitchen counter. Look for pics to be posted later today or tomorrow.

The ducks are stuffed with onions, garlic & livers (all of which were also done in the brine/marinade). We plan to make a pate out of the liver/onion garlic stuffing for crackers.

We're also BBQ'n frogs legs today (when you live in Seattle, you can't fear smoking/BBQ'n in the rain! ;) ). The frogs legs will be an apetizer before the main course of duck (along w/ green beans, mashed potatoes & sweet potato soufle). Yum! :)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :D

7. cheech

cheech Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Hey I realize this has been done for some time but can you let us know how the duck turned out?