Smoked Deep Dish Spicy Italian Casserole (Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Well folks, this one was a ton of fun. From conceptualizing it, to creating it, to cooking it, to eating it, this was about the most fun meal I've ever done. It looked magnificent and tasted even better. Cannot begin to tell you how happy I was with the results of this one. I kinda thought through it most of the day yesterday but couldn't really decide how to go about putting it together. Finally I just decided to go for it and come what may. Well, here is what cometh:

Got some of my spicy red sauce going
011.jpg

Some homemade spicy Italian sausage
012.jpg

Sausage browned and drained, sauce all done. Time to start putting it together. Start with some sauce in the bottom of the 8" CI skillets
013.jpg

Add the first round of sausage
014.jpg

Next is some egg noodles
015.jpg

A whole bunch of cheese, but we aren't done yet
016.jpg

More sausage...and my feet again
017.jpg

More noodles
018.jpg

More sauce and more feet
019.jpg

More cheese. "More" is the word for the day I guess. Now we are ready to go onto the Rec Tec
021.jpg

And we're off!!
025.jpg

Mixed up some garlic butter and slathered it all over some Artesano rolls that Tracy bought and those go on the grill. I also did a dipping sauce for the bread with my garlic olive oil and some Tuscan spices
026.jpg

Skillets coming along nicely
027.jpg

We are ready to eat!! Money shot(s). Two pics
028.jpg

029.jpg

Not only was this fun to create, the flavor was spectacular. Yes, it's goofy, weird, off-the-wall, and maybe a bit bizarre but it was creative and an absolute blast all the way around. What's fun also is that it didn't take a whole lot of time to do. Maybe 15 or 20 minutes of prep time and about 45 minutes on the Rec Tec. I started it low and slow (225) to give it a chance to get a bit of smoke flavor then ran the temp up to 400 so the cheese would melt and the top brown up a little bit. A really nice smoky background flavor melding with the spices and 6 different cheeses was just off the charts!! Add to that, everything cooked in cast iron is just better...period. I knew as soon as I pulled the skillets off the grill that it was gonna be good, I just didn't know how good. Tracy was getting her first bite as I was sitting down (I had to play with my food before I could start eating) and she had that devious little smile going that told me everything I needed to know: I'd done it right.

One more for the record books,
Robert

Absolutely looks delcious!! I love dishes with Italian sausage and some good tomato sauce and cheese. Adding in a hint of smoke, heck yes.

Man that looks great! The best part about this meal is it was fun for you to create! Thats what its all about! I love Italian sausage and this is a great creative meal! I LIKE it!

That looks terrific, Robert! Pasta, Italian sausage, noodles, sauce, cheese and smoke?! Nothing weird about that...sounds perfect to me!!

Last edited:
Damn...just realized that I'm lagging way behind on this one. Work has been pretty busy and I was scrambling all weekend with various things.

Absolutely looks delcious!! I love dishes with Italian sausage and some good tomato sauce and cheese. Adding in a hint of smoke, heck yes.

Thank you Jeff!! Oddly enough the best lasagna I've ever had was cooked on the BGE. The flavor from the charcoal was off the charts. Seemed like a good idea to run these on the Rec Tec

looks great, your really coming up with some good looking cooks.

Thank you Jim. I've always been a bit on the creative side but there is a never ending source of inspiration in this forum. It kinda makes you want to keep upping your game to keep up with all the great stuff folks are doing and posting here.

Man that looks great! The best part about this meal is it was fun for you to create! Thats what its all about! I love Italian sausage and this is a great creative meal! I LIKE it!

Appreciate it, and yes it's always fun to come up with new stuff. To enjoy it as much as I enjoyed this one though was really great.

Robert

That looks terrific, Robert! Pasta, Italian sausage, noodles, sauce, cheese and smoke?! Nothing weird about that...sounds perfect to me!!

Thanks Saint!! Something about Italian food we just love. It's certainly one of my favorites.

Great idea Robert!
It really looks delicious!
Al

Very much appreciate it Al. It certainly was delicious. We were planning to have the leftovers last night but some friends dropped in unexpectedly and we had to drop back 10 and punt for dinner. Looks like leftovers tonight, which is just fine by me

Robert

Really nice meal Robert!

BIG LIKE!

Thank you John!! Now wen do we get to see more of Sue's masterful culinary delights??

Looks like some great eats there Robert, nice job! Like, RAY

Appreciate it Ray. We sure did enjoy this and will certainly do it again, possibly with a different twist...but I have no clue as of right now what that twist will be :emoji_wink:

Robert

Looks fun, tasty and lots of room for variations! gonna be tryin that for sure!

Just realized this is Something I've often thought about: (Maybe Dreamed About)
A Super Thick Loaded Pan Pizza, without the Crust!!!
Love It!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky