Smoked Cow Tails, not for sissies, long with no pictures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

agaffer

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
North Carolina
I am going to come right out and be sacrilegious, even though I live in Eastern North Carolina, this area has the worlds worst bbq, bar none. From corn pone, which is nothing but tasteless corn meal hard tack, to bbq shacks that seem to always serve side dishes out of can, to cooking whole hog and then chopping all the different individual flavored meats up into one pile and pouring some vinegar and pepper flakes over it and calling it done. But, that’s me and we are all different. Feel free to protest, I’m just saying what my taste buds like and don’t like.

We are all influenced by the foods we grew up with and where we have lived. Being from CA, which has no traditional bbq style, I grew up influenced by our huge immigrant population and the styles that can be found in immigrant enclaves around Los Angeles, Korean, Hawaiian, Caribbean, African, Vietnamese, Texas, Mexico, the deep south. Once I moved to Hawaii, I was influenced by Filipino, Asian, and Hawaiian flavors.

I like to take traditional recipes from countries I have spent time in and convert them to bbq with smoke, after all, a smoker is just an oven fueled by fire and anything that can be cooked in an oven or on a stove can be cooked in a smoker or on a grill.

In Jamaica and Barbados, and other Caribbean Islands cooking the tails of cows into stews is popular. Here is how I do it with a smoker. It is a process, which I find fun, but not what you want to bother with if you need dinner in the next 30 minutes.

Ingredients for the Marinade

2 Scotch bonnet peppers, chopped

2 Tablespoons of Kosher salt

1 Tablespoon of course black pepper

5 chopped up scallions

1 Tablespoon of chopped thyme, fresh if you have it

½ cup orange juice

3 cloves of minced garlic

1 Tablespoon of chopped fresh ginger

1/3 cup Soy Sauce

2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil

¼ cup apple cider vinegar

1 medium sweet onion, chopped

1 Tablespoon brown sugar

2 Tablespoons Allspice

1 Tablespoon Nutmeg

1 Tablespoon cinnamon

Put everything in a food processor or, I use a Vitamix Blender, and process until smooth. Takes a minute or two.

This will make enough Jerk sauce for this recipe and plenty left over to do chicken at some other time.

Dry Rub

Take your cow tails, Oxtails they call them in the market

Season with:

Seasoning salt

Onion powder

Granulated Garlic

Dried Thyme

Just sprinkle all these ingredients on the tails like you would salt and pepper.

Put them in your smoker at 225°-250° using a strong wood for smoke. I use hickory chunks with a handful of Allspice berries on top in my Stumps. You are only giving them smoke, not completely cooking them. When their internal temp is 160° take them out of the smoker.

Take an aluminum pan or a roasting pan and throw in some cut up onions, garlic, carrots, red pepper, mushrooms, potatoes, thyme, and tomato. Any amount you want, like a pot roast. Add some red wine, 4-5 bay leaves, beef stock and a little orange juice. I have never measured the amount of liquid, I just use what looks to me will be the right amount for the amount of veggies and meat.

Put the smoked tail pieces on top and seal with aluminum foil. Save yourself some charcoal and put it in an oven at 325° or back into a hot smoker or over charcoal in a grill. Let it simmer away for 3-4 hours. Done.

Goes well with Cajun red beans and rice, fried bananas, salad, some bread to mop up the gravy with. To me every thing bbq goes great with beer, Tiki drinks, or in this case, a Bourbon Sidecar.

Sorry I don’t have pictures. I am still waiting on my new smoker and right now am only grilling. I will make this with pictures once winter sets in.

I grew up in SoCal, we had no shortage of good BBQ, we simply cooked it ourselves.
There were a few half decent BBQ restaurants in San Diego, but for the most part they sucked.

Love me some Ox-tail marinated for tenderness and grilled like Korean short ribs.
Great in a stew too, we've a good Jamaican restaurants that serves it daily.
They also do Conch with mashed plantains that is too damned good.

Reactions: CarolMatthes
Man that is a lot of ingredients!
I think I will stick to something a bit easier to prepare.
But it sure sounds good!!
Al
Al, its really just seasonings and stuff most of us cooks usually have on hand, it's just the way he listed it that makes it seem like a lot.
Heck, my chicken rub has more dried herbs and spices.
If I wanted try his Jerk Seasoning recipe I'd only need to buy the chiles and scallions.

He does however leave out the real secret to authentically flavored Jamaican Jerk.
Cooking it over Pimento wood is the secret.

Reactions: CarolMatthes
He does however leave out the real secret to authentically flavored Jamaican Jerk.
Cooking it over Pimento wood is the secret.
I make a foil smoke bomb of whole allspice berries and add that to the bottom grate to replace the pimento wood
I don't think the islands export pimento wood

my jerk recipe is very similar and it canister vacs in jars for months - lil trick i learned from a pickle thread

Actually I didn't leave out the Pimento wood smoke. I don't know where you can get pimento wood to use but, by adding pimento berries to hickory you get the same flavor.

Cool, but you add in shipping and that is pretty costly. Maybe my palate is not that good but, to me, different woods smell different coming out of the smokestack, and some woods give a slightly different coloring to meat but, the only time I have ever tasted a difference from one wood to another is when smoking fish. Beef, pork, and chicken all taste the same to me when trying different woods. Maybe if we didn't use any dry ingredients or marinades on the meat the subtle difference in smoke would matter. The only reason I throw in a handful of pimento berries on the wood is peace of mind.

Sounds awesome to me!! Love the jerk flavor , I’d tear some of this up. Love the use of allspice berries too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky