Smoked Chuck Weekend!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok, you got me you freakin' enabler you!! :emoji_laughing: Chuck roast is out of the freezer and defrosting. Only thing I'll do differently is to serve ours over homemade pasta. God knows I love mashed taters but I kinda got the pasta making bug.

Robert
Robert, this would be amazing over your homemade pasta!!! The eggy texture and flavor would be the bomb! Post up pics for sure!!!

I do have to say that the taters are locally gown and hand packed in a cardboard box. We drive 40 mins one way to buy them because the flavor has no words to explain it! The only better ones are when you go to the field and buy a truck load right after they dig them.

The wife found these sale babies (3.99/lb) so she scored a couple for the weekend….. each was $10 each…… oh man!!! Spider webs of goodness!
View attachment 653631
Did my usual liquid mixture & rub.

Braising liquid:
View attachment 653624
1/2C red wine
2C beef broth
1Tbsp WS
5Tbsp soy
1Tbsp each beef & veg base
The kinders for the chuck…..

These got my usual treatment @265 in the RT1250…..these were put on @ 9:35am….
View attachment 653625

Progress check at 1:30……oh man all smiles!
View attachment 653626

I got side tracked so they ran uncovered to 4pm, then I ran out dropped them in the liquid and covered them with foil…… they hit INT 205 @ 5:30…..then into the oven at 145 till dinner at 6:30….. the uncovering….
View attachment 653628
View attachment 653629
Normally I cover them about 2:30-3 ish so these got the extra bark treatment….
View attachment 653630
Oh man tasty!!!!!

All pulled and back in the remaining liquid…..
View attachment 653632
I make sure the liquid gets mixed all around….
View attachment 653635
I use to skim the rendered fat off on chucks but now I leave about 1/3 to 1/2 if it and it is magic!

So meal #1 the wife made up some beef based Marsala gravy and some good old Idaho russet mash…….. my boy also seared up some shrooms
View attachment 653633

A very simplified mash and smoked beef Marsala!
View attachment 653634
Perfect match for the 3 inches of snow we got today!

Just noting that this is a late morning and normal dinner time smoke…. The wife started her stuff @ 5:40 and dinner was at 6:40…. Simple easy and tasty meat treat with very little effort!
Maaan that looks freakin good! What an awesome cook!!!

Robert, this would be amazing over your homemade pasta!!! The eggy texture and flavor would be the bomb! Post up pics for sure!!!
About ready to start making the pasta. Will let it sit in the fridge overnight. I have discovered that finding Marsala cooking wine in our podunk little town is not the easiest thing in the world to do....but I finally found it. Weird part is that when I got home, I opened the bottle and took a taste. It's virtually identical to Porto (Port wine) just a lighter flavor. Looked around the 'Net a bit trying to find a decent recipe for the beef marsala gravy and didn't see anything that intrigued me. Looks like I make it up as I go. Oh well....not the first time.
Yes sir, it does. He got me hook, line, and sinker with that plated shot. Chuck roast is defrosted and will go on the smoker tomorrow morning. Guess what's for dinner :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: Retired Spook
That looks great! Sign me up for a plate of that and a plate of your sons mushrooms!

I do have to say that the taters are locally gown and hand packed in a cardboard box. We drive 40 mins one way to buy them because the flavor has no words to explain it! The only better ones are when you go to the field and buy a truck load right after they dig them.
Beef and gravy over noodles with a sour cream plop makes a stroganoff.

I brought 50# of potatoes from my garden south for the winter. They are 100% pesticide free and from organic seed. No Russet as I only grow Nordland red, Purple (not sure the variety this year) and Kennebeck. Almost done with the Nordland, but the purple and Kennebeck will keep into March.

Ever walk behind a potato lifter and get the missed spuds? Don't have to go far to get a 50# sack filled

Many thanks RS!
That looks amazing!
Thanks lilhef!
That looks great! Sign me up for a plate of that and a plate of your sons mushrooms!
You bet BDude! They bit has the sear in the shrooms pretty good!
Beef and gravy over noodles with a sour cream plop makes a stroganoff.

I brought 50# of potatoes from my garden south for the winter. They are 100% pesticide free and from organic seed. No Russet as I only grow Nordland red, Purple (not sure the variety this year) and Kennebeck. Almost done with the Nordland, but the purple and Kennebeck will keep into March.

Ever walk behind a potato lifter and get the missed spuds? Don't have to go far to get a 50# sack filled
Yup we have done the SC version as well. It is the bomb too!

Yes I have done that walk our neighbor gets a full truck load each harvest that we all take a wheel barrel of and when that is gone we go for these ones!

About ready to start making the pasta. Will let it sit in the fridge overnight. I have discovered that finding Marsala cooking wine in our podunk little town is not the easiest thing in the world to do....but I finally found it. Weird part is that when I got home, I opened the bottle and took a taste. It's virtually identical to Porto (Port wine) just a lighter flavor. Looked around the 'Net a bit trying to find a decent recipe for the beef marsala gravy and didn't see anything that intrigued me. Looks like I make it up as I go. Oh well....not the first time.

Yes sir, it does. He got me hook, line, and sinker with that plated shot. Chuck roast is defrosted and will go on the smoker tomorrow morning. Guess what's for dinner :emoji_wink:

Robert
Yes you can use port, we get our masala from the liquor store (only place that has it in our area)

My wife has adapted Tyler Florence’s recipe on the food network. She uses bacon and onions garlic or shallots, she had done it with chicken and beef or both. She also adds Demi in for beef and chicken base for chicken. We add the shrooms after now but did them in it and that is good to but the boy likes the hard sear on shrooms….

Good luck in have my finger crossed for ya!

Tonight I put it over some greens with my wife’s Serrano lime dressing…..
3B926D2B-7D29-4EBE-87B7-1A43F5637179.jpeg

Holy smokes this is fresh and tasty!!!!!!
B25472BD-7C56-4DE2-BB5E-F0D238606394.jpeg

Looks awesome as always! No fire pics needed with pics like that! You'd have to pull me away from the table. Always make room for dessert...more meat, taters, and gravy!

Ryan

Reactions: bauchjw
Looks awesome as always! No fire pics needed with pics like that! You'd have to pull me away from the table. Always make room for dessert...more meat, taters, and gravy!

Ryan
Many thanks Ryan! I have to say it was a roll up the sleeves kind of meal!

Tonight’s chuck meal was a chermoula rice bowl…..Serrano lime rice, roasted corn, caramelized red onions……
4B2445D4-E8C9-4360-B2FD-A35646170C18.jpeg

This was pure flavor!
C9B84BC8-8458-43E5-877B-A188CB1FBE9E.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: xray and bauchjw
Got it all done yesterday and it was truly amazing!! Need to get the pics off the phone, sort through them, and make some semblance of order out of them. I did twist your recipe up a bit though. I'm sure that will come as a huge surprise to you :emoji_wink:

Robert

The wife found these sale babies (3.99/lb) so she scored a couple for the weekend….. each was $10 each…… oh man!!! Spider webs of goodness!
View attachment 653631
Did my usual liquid mixture & rub.

Braising liquid:
View attachment 653624
1/2C red wine
2C beef broth
1Tbsp WS
5Tbsp soy
1Tbsp each beef & veg base
The kinders for the chuck…..

These got my usual treatment @265 in the RT1250…..these were put on @ 9:35am….
View attachment 653625

Progress check at 1:30……oh man all smiles!
View attachment 653626

I got side tracked so they ran uncovered to 4pm, then I ran out dropped them in the liquid and covered them with foil…… they hit INT 205 @ 5:30…..then into the oven at 145 till dinner at 6:30….. the uncovering….
View attachment 653628
View attachment 653629
Normally I cover them about 2:30-3 ish so these got the extra bark treatment….
View attachment 653630
Oh man tasty!!!!!

All pulled and back in the remaining liquid…..
View attachment 653632
I make sure the liquid gets mixed all around….
View attachment 653635
I use to skim the rendered fat off on chucks but now I leave about 1/3 to 1/2 if it and it is magic!

So meal #1 the wife made up some beef based Marsala gravy and some good old Idaho russet mash…….. my boy also seared up some shrooms
View attachment 653633

A very simplified mash and smoked beef Marsala!
View attachment 653634
Perfect match for the 3 inches of snow we got today!

Just noting that this is a late morning and normal dinner time smoke…. The wife started her stuff @ 5:40 and dinner was at 6:40…. Simple easy and tasty meat treat with very little effort!
Very nice. Looks simply fantastic!!!

JC :emoji_cat:

Got it all done yesterday and it was truly amazing!! Need to get the pics off the phone, sort through them, and make some semblance of order out of them. I did twist your recipe up a bit though. I'm sure that will come as a huge surprise to you :emoji_wink:

Robert
Sweet, I'm looking forward to your post! As I PM'd you my wife changes up the recipe all the time but the main ingredient is it has marsala in it.... the rest.... well it is up to creation after that!
Very nice. Looks simply fantastic!!!

JC :emoji_cat:
Many thanks JC!

Well this meal spilled over the kick this week off in a big way......

Toasted up some sour dough....
B8D8ED6C-9A27-4015-A246-719815856FB3.jpeg

Then add a little heavy cream to the beef marsala and toped that with a couple of sunny side ups and some GOs.....
F264819B-157A-41E6-9985-288DC821D1E2.jpeg

Pure creamy beef MONEY!!
A6C0ABC1-CF3D-49A2-8197-F372080A9D7F.jpeg

Reactions: xray and tx smoker
All of those chuck meals looks friggin fantastic CS!! I couldn’t choose one so I’ll have some of each. The marsala gravy and serrano lime dressing sound awesome, and it’s enough variety that each meal feels totally different! Excellent job!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky