Smoked Chuck Weekend!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
The wife found these sale babies (3.99/lb) so she scored a couple for the weekend….. each was $10 each…… oh man!!! Spider webs of goodness!
0F50806F-D2DD-47B0-89EE-2F4E451713FB.jpeg

Did my usual liquid mixture & rub.

Braising liquid:
DBCE120E-8397-457E-A55D-E9540D6D11FA.jpeg

1/2C red wine
2C beef broth
1Tbsp WS
5Tbsp soy
1Tbsp each beef & veg base
The kinders for the chuck…..

These got my usual treatment @265 in the RT1250…..these were put on @ 9:35am….
E16B1F5D-6578-4473-8ED0-0424E722347D.jpeg

Progress check at 1:30……oh man all smiles!
D44FE1C9-10B9-4C1E-863C-A65A9EE58C55.jpeg

I got side tracked so they ran uncovered to 4pm, then I ran out dropped them in the liquid and covered them with foil…… they hit INT 205 @ 5:30…..then into the oven at 145 till dinner at 6:30….. the uncovering….
53BA835C-25CB-456D-8E3D-6324A90C83FA.jpeg

FA397517-77F9-405D-BB04-617BA9BA682C.jpeg

Normally I cover them about 2:30-3 ish so these got the extra bark treatment….
84DE9BF2-9D76-4992-8708-D0D8F025ECB3.jpeg

Oh man tasty!!!!!

All pulled and back in the remaining liquid…..
92F29441-74F8-4EB0-9B25-3CC63722BAEC.jpeg

I make sure the liquid gets mixed all around….
BD6C3840-CCF9-4E17-981A-F1F23FBECFBF.jpeg

I use to skim the rendered fat off on chucks but now I leave about 1/3 to 1/2 if it and it is magic!

So meal #1 the wife made up some beef based Marsala gravy and some good old Idaho russet mash…….. my boy also seared up some shrooms
D69CD55B-25EF-4C89-855C-7FA4FFCD36ED.jpeg

A very simplified mash and smoked beef Marsala!
AC4BC182-DECC-4F9B-9A73-41BCE7BE5F91.jpeg

Perfect match for the 3 inches of snow we got today!

Just noting that this is a late morning and normal dinner time smoke…. The wife started her stuff @ 5:40 and dinner was at 6:40…. Simple easy and tasty meat treat with very little effort!

Wow! That looks incredible! Smoked and braised chuck is on the top of my favorite list right now! Yours with the Marsala gravy is perfect! Big points! Great work!

The marbling in those roasts is great, those are definitely 2 that I would have picked out. I would pull up a chair to a plate like that!

That has got to be one of the most tantalizing meals I've ever seen. Just elevated comfort food at it's absolute finest. Extremely well done sir!!

Robert

Wow! That looks incredible! Smoked and braised chuck is on the top of my favorite list right now! Yours with the Marsala gravy is perfect! Big points! Great work!
Thanks Jed! This is my wife’s all time fav smoked meat! It is also on the top of my list as well. My wife makes a flour roux with shallots and bacon then adds the wine and beef stock. Man oh man she has that down!
I think you got it down, man. I'm jealous.
Many thanks edmonds! Yes I believe it’s time ink this method with a sharpie as it’s a keeper! The fact that it’s such a simple tasty cook is its real beauty!
That’s just stunning!
Thanks Sven!
The marbling in those roasts is great, those are definitely 2 that I would have picked out. I would pull up a chair to a plate like that!
Thanks GS, I call them the tasty spider webs of flavor.
That color you got is just amazing! Looks pretty awesome. How was the smoke flavor without running at low for a while?
Thanks Brian. I smoke these on the top shelf and push them back of the rack and the smoke profile back there is really nice. I do all my chucks, briskets, and butts this way. And for me the smoke profile is very good……I like an overtone but not kick in your face…..I’m very sensitive to even a hint of “bad smoke”. The RT puts out a very nice smoke at 265 as my wife knows when I step out side
Yummy
That's my plans for tomorrow. Beef is on sale here, too.
Thanks FA! Well you can trust me it’s a perfect plan!

Reactions: bauchjw
Oh man that looks so good. Well done.
Thanks rdknb!
That looks so delicious, thanks for sharing it!!
Many thanks tbern!
That has got to be one of the most tantalizing meals I've ever seen. Just elevated comfort food at it's absolute finest. Extremely well done sir!!

Robert
Many thanks Robert! It is a top self comfort in my book as well. We had bake at home bread to dip in it and that’s pure heaven! As you know we do this a lot so we have had some practice.
Yes sir that looks fantastic
Thanks SJ!
Great looking meal. I’ll take a double helping.

Jim
Many thank Jim, I can tell you it was everything I had in me not to load up a second time…..but that will happen today LOL!
Man that looks good!!
Thanks SA!

The wife found these sale babies (3.99/lb) so she scored a couple for the weekend….. each was $10 each…… oh man!!! Spider webs of goodness!
View attachment 653631
Did my usual liquid mixture & rub.

Braising liquid:
View attachment 653624
1/2C red wine
2C beef broth
1Tbsp WS
5Tbsp soy
1Tbsp each beef & veg base
The kinders for the chuck…..

These got my usual treatment @265 in the RT1250…..these were put on @ 9:35am….
View attachment 653625

Progress check at 1:30……oh man all smiles!
View attachment 653626

I got side tracked so they ran uncovered to 4pm, then I ran out dropped them in the liquid and covered them with foil…… they hit INT 205 @ 5:30…..then into the oven at 145 till dinner at 6:30….. the uncovering….
View attachment 653628
View attachment 653629
Normally I cover them about 2:30-3 ish so these got the extra bark treatment….
View attachment 653630
Oh man tasty!!!!!

All pulled and back in the remaining liquid…..
View attachment 653632
I make sure the liquid gets mixed all around….
View attachment 653635
I use to skim the rendered fat off on chucks but now I leave about 1/3 to 1/2 if it and it is magic!

So meal #1 the wife made up some beef based Marsala gravy and some good old Idaho russet mash…….. my boy also seared up some shrooms
View attachment 653633

A very simplified mash and smoked beef Marsala!
View attachment 653634
Perfect match for the 3 inches of snow we got today!

Just noting that this is a late morning and normal dinner time smoke…. The wife started her stuff @ 5:40 and dinner was at 6:40…. Simple easy and tasty meat treat with very little effort!
Delicious

I cant stop looking at the pictures, simply outstanding!

Dave.
Thanks Dave, I appreciate it!
That top shelf would be nice. I have the RT 590. I do have a small shelf that can be put into it but it puts food pretty high. I may have to play with it. Thanks
Brian, my top self is pretty high, it leaves about 2 inches from the top of the chuck but the smoke is good there (at least in mine) and it seems to be more uniform vs lower

I'm in the slow process of adding a mid-high self on mine so I can smoke most everything a bit higher, and I can have fluid pans under. I'm targeting 3-3.5 inches off the main grate level

Delicious
Thane BB!

Reactions: Flatrate
So meal #1 the wife made up some beef based Marsala gravy and some good old Idaho russet mash
Ok, you got me you freakin' enabler you!! :emoji_laughing: Chuck roast is out of the freezer and defrosting. Only thing I'll do differently is to serve ours over homemade pasta. God knows I love mashed taters but I kinda got the pasta making bug.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky