smoked chuck roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schaydu

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Good morning! im planning on doing a chuck roast soon. Im sure im over thinking it but wanted yalls input because ive never been let down when ive asked questions here.

Prep seems pretty simple, mustard binder, then rub

smoke at 225-250 until what internal temp before wrapping. Seems there are differing of opinions on when to wrap

I think i want to slice it, but what factors come into play vs burnt ends and shredding.

Also timing, how many hours per pound should i plan on to get an IT of 200.

Thanks in advance. Any additional tips and tricks are welcomed. I love to combine different ideas and techniques into something i think i would like.

Reactions: JLeonard
I would probably wrap around 160 or so. Depending on which smoker I use I have a drip pan under it to catch the drippings, then put meat in pan with added beef broth and wrap both. If you're wanting to slice it you don't have to take it that high. But to shred take it to probe tender...each piece of meat will be different...this one maybe 204, next one might be 208. Never made burnt ends yet ( need to change that) so I'll let someone else help with that. Don't be afraid to smoke at a higher temp.

Ryan

Reactions: gmc2003 and shaydu
Wrapping around 160 will help the meat cook faster and stay moist. But wrapping say a pork butt will soften the bark somewhat. Some wrap others don't...kind of a personal preference. Wrapping at the end is to help keep meat warm and rest to redistribute the juices. Say you smoke a pork butt and it finished at 2 pm but you're not eating till 5 pm.

Ryan

it wont let me reply from my other account. thanks for the tips. Whats the benefit of wrapping around 160 vs wrapping at the end of the cook? i saw a recipe where jeff did it both ways.

is there a general rule of thumb for time?
You'll have a better finish with chuck if you wrap around 160°. It won't dry out as much and will be much more moist. Same goes for small brisket flats ... if you wrap or use a foil pan (my preference) with some liquid at around 150 to 160°, the end product will be moist and delicious. These cuts tend to get a bit dry if you cook them all the way without wrapping and added liquid.

• Love
Reactions: negolien and shaydu
You'll have a better finish with chuck if you wrap around 160°. It won't dry out as much and will be much more moist. Same goes for small brisket flats ... if you wrap or use a foil pan (my preference) with some liquid at around 150 to 160°, the end product will be moist and delicious. These cuts tend to get a bit dry if you cook them all the way without wrapping and added liquid.
thanks for the info.

so wrap 150-160. Think ill use the peach paper, saw where some collected the drippings or used beef broth and added that to wrap and went to slicing temp.

i went back and re read everything but im still unclear what exactly im looking for with slicing temps.

Still also looking for info regarding hours per pound.

Thanks. alrady got some good ideas.

Smoked chuck roast is the bomb. I prefer shredding so I cook to maybe 205F, depending on how it probes.
You want to wrap when the bark looks good and before it starts to look like it's drying out, usually about the same time as the stall (150-165). Some like to wrap with extra liquid, but it's usually not necessary unless you think it's drying out. If possible, collect drippings for sauce.

Reactions: jcam222 and DougE
thanks for the info.

so wrap 150-160. Think ill use the peach paper, saw where some collected the drippings or used beef broth and added that to wrap and went to slicing temp.

i went back and re read everything but im still unclear what exactly im looking for with slicing temps.

Still also looking for info regarding hours per pound.

Thanks. alrady got some good ideas.
I think there are a few things, or outcomes, being talked about. If you’re wanting to do thin slices, like pit beef, I wouldn’t cook it past medium rare, about 130-135 Internal Temp. If you’re taking it up to 160 then wrapping you should probably just finish it off to to fall apart tender, past 200 IT usually. If you are doing a pit beef Style thin slice I wouldn’t wrap it until it hit medium rare, then pull it off uncovered until it cools a bit, then wrap to rest.

Most people shy away from saying how long it’ll take per pound because “it depends” Personally, I estimate conservatively to about 1.5 hours per pound at 225 degrees because that’s what I read somewhere a while ago. But, I’ve been wrong in both left and right of that estimate before. Beef & Pork holds well wrapped and in a cooler, better to be conservative!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I do chucks all the time (every other week) and this is how I do them....

Season with fav low/no salt rub for steaks, no binder needed.
Cook at CC 265 till INT 160ish (+/1 5deg ok)
Braise in foil boat with fluids covered @ CC 225 till roast is 203 to 205
Rest in kitchen oven at 165-170 for 1-2 hours..... till dinner time.

Fluid for foil pan (boat),
1/2 C Red wine
2-3 C beef broth
1 Tbsp each of beef/vegi demi or better than bouillon beef & veg
5 Tbsp soy sauce (ie don't need salt in the rub).
2 Tbsp Worcestershire

I put the boat under the chuck to simmer (lucky to have two racks in the smoker) you can just put a rack over the boat and chuck on that if you don't have a rack system or just set in next to the chuck for the smoke time.

I can put a 7 lb chuck in at 9am, it is 160 around 2 pm, cover and then it is 205 at 3:30 to 4:30, then rest till dinner at 6...... works every time!

PS Edit the above is for pulled chuck....

When I have sliced chuck, I do the same above but pull it at a INT 190-195 then the same rest. I LOVE Mid rare beef but to me Chuck isn't one of them....its best when above..... I use the braising liquid as Au Jus.... it can also have a bit more stock added and slightly thickened for a beef gravy for the slices....very tasty!

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan of attack.

Point for sure
Chris

1/2 C Red wine
2-3 C beef broth
2 Tbsp Worcestershire

I put the boat under the chuck to simmer (lucky to have two racks in the smoker) you can just put a rack over the boat and chuck on that if you don't have a rack system or just set in next to the chuck for the smoke time.

I can put a 7 lb chuck in at 9am, it is 160 around 2 pm, cover and then it is 205 at 3:30 to 4:30, then rest till dinner at 6...... works every time!

When I have sliced chuck, I do the same above but pull it at a INT 190-195 then the same rest. I LOVE Mid rare beef but to me Chuck isn't one on of them....its best when above..... I use the braising liquid as Au Jus.... it can also have a bit more stock added and slightly thickened for a beef gravy for the slices....very tasty!
Sounds fabulous their having sales on chuckies here 3.99 a lb for some 4 lb+ roasts. I might grab some and try your recipe. i usually just pot roast chucks in the crock pot but have been wanting to smoke one

Sounds fabulous their having sales on chuckies here 3.99 a lb for some 4 lb+ roasts. I might grab some and try your recipe. i usually just pot roast chucks in the crock pot but have been wanting to smoke one
We use the chuck in tacos, enchiladas, nachos, gilled cheese, onion soup, marsala & mushrooms, shepherds pie, and Texas chili (we add the red beans on top after....) (chili/cheese dogs and spuds).... Smoked chuck Texas chili spud example (from 2 weeks ago).... Like I said we eat lots of smoked chuck! Oh I forgot, to say we each it solo too....
16241A47-D040-4615-AD1B-FBC5B516CF7E.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: negolien
We use the chuck in tacos, enchiladas, nachos, gilled cheese, onion soup, marsala & mushrooms, shepherds pie, and Texas chili (we add the red beans on top after....) (chili/cheese dogs and spuds).... Smoked chuck Texas chili spud example (from 2 weeks ago).... Like I said we eat lots of smoked chuck! Oh I forgot, to say we each it solo too....
View attachment 647517
Oh enchiladas? I been planning on doing some chicken ones maybe ill do a chuck instead. THANKS BUD U ROCK LOL.

well done.jpg

Reactions: civilsmoker
Oh enchiladas? I been planning on doing some chicken ones maybe ill do a chuck instead. THANKS BUD U ROCK LOL.

View attachment 647529
Yes sr enchiladas!!

Oh I forgot we also we also add it to Bulgogi Sauce and put it over cabbage, rice, and sweet potato noodles with sriracha aioli and a sweet soy/ginger sauce, or in a bao bun with cabbages vs over rice..... oh and on a chef salad vs ham.... like I said we eat a lot of chuck!

Sorry to the OP for the hijack.... Just get excited about how many vehicles there are for smoked chuck!

1/2 C Red wine
2-3 C beef broth
2 Tbsp Worcestershire

When I have sliced chuck, I do the same above but pull it at a INT 190-195 then the same rest. I LOVE Mid rare beef but to me Chuck isn't one of them....its best when above..... I use the braising liquid as Au Jus.... it can also have a bit more stock added and slightly thickened for a beef gravy for the slices....very tasty!

thanks for a detailed response! i appreciate the info!

I do smoke for three hours at 225-275°F. Toss in a pan with 1 cup hot (heated) beef broth and a sliced onion, maybe a few peppers. Cover with foil and crank the heat to 325-350 for another 3 hours. Probe through the foil for tenderness. Add time if not probe tender.

Rest in the pan for 30 - 60 mins. Pull and serve.

Spritzing seems to be more about feeling like you're doing something rather than actually benefitting the cook. I've never found it to be of benefit. Rather more of a detriment since you're letting the heat out of your cooking chamber every time you open it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky