Smoked chicken chiles rellanos (my supper)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cowgirl

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 2, 2007
Oklahoma
I smoked a big hen...rubbed with butter, sprinkled with kosher salt and cracked black pepper. I didn't want to overdo the seasonings...the rellanos are spicy enough. This was my supper last night, I had to smoke the chicken early to have time to do the rest.
Funny how you can spend hours on a meal and eat it in less than 30 minutes.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

I used anaheim peppers, they are my favorite.

I shredded the meat and added minced jalapeno, minced onion and some fresh shredded queso campesino.

I blistered and peeled my chilies...stuffed them with the smoked chicken/cheese filling.

Battered and fried....

Served with my favorite rellanos sauce...

Supper..........smoked chicken chilies rellanos.

I forgot to add, I've made these with beef and pork before, but this was my first attempt at smoked chicken. I think these might be my new favorites.

Those are my favorite kind of rellanos and hard to find. If I made some of those I would be a hero. What did you use for batter?

Ray, I make a batter out of 2 whipped egg whites and 2 beaten yolks...I whip them separately and then combine them and fold 2 TBs of flour.

I have never tried them with the smoked chicken....it turned out pretty tasty. :)

Thank you Jeff.
smile.gif

If you do not want to go to the trouble of peeling and stuffing your peppers, you can use canned peppers and layer them along with the filling in a casserole dish (kind of like lasagna).

Boy Patty that sure look good. It's too close to lunch to be looking at stuff like that!!!

Thank you glued....I'm going to have leftovers for lunch.
I made enough to freeze some for later.
biggrin.gif

Im glad my stomach is full of smoked burger or I might be on my way to a mexican restaurant right now. Those look and sound wonderful.

As always Patty you are making some incredible food!!!

Cowgirl, I have never heard of or seen a rellanos! They're beautiful and definitely something I will be trying in the near future. God I love this place!!

Cowgirl, Those look great, and are one of my favorite dishes, although I have never had them with chicken. I would have done the layered thing, a bite of chicken, then a bite of cheese and then some more chicken, a bite of pepper. Well, you get my drift.

Thank you Triple B!
I saute 1/2 of a meduim onion and 1 minced clove of garlic in a small amount of oil. Then I add 2 cups of chicken broth, 1 cup of tomato sauce, 1 tsp of kosher salt, 1/2 tsp of black pepper and 1/2 tsp of oregano.

The sauce simmers for 10 minutes. I usually let it simmer while I'm coating and frying the peppers. It's not a fancy sauce, but it sure adds to the dish.
smile.gif

Thank you Dingle and goat!
The layered version is a lot less work and it tastes good too!!

Very nice job on the rellenos, they look really nice too. I can tell you really take pride in whatever you do, my compliments to you!

Thank you smokeys!
smile.gif

Rich, thank you for the compliment....I had you in mind while making these. I'm sure you have made these many times over.
Again, thank you for the kind words.....you are a sweetheart.
smile.gif

Thank you HawgHeaven!! Hope you give it a try (if you haven't already).
icon_mrgreen.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky