• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoked cheddar and mozzarella

cashew

Joined Feb 3, 2009
Looks good, bet it tastes good too. I just fell down the cheese smoke hole, and had to look up times since I just fired up the smoker for my first cheese attempt.

escopeton

Joined Jul 17, 2005
I tasted it again with the wife a few hours later and they flavors had time to develope. Very nice.

wbf610

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 23, 2016
I find that if I let mine rest overnight, then vac pack and rest for a few weeks, that it tastes much better than without the rest.

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Are the resting in the fridge or out on the counter? Cover?
I let it rest on a cooling rack uncovered/counter for a few hours, then place in the fridge loosely covered with plastic wrap overnight. Vacuum seal in the morning.

escope you cheese looks good, and nice video.

Chris

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
Nice vid. Great TBS and color.

I did 8 blocks a month ago to the date today. Sampled and still too young at 2 weeks. Edible but rough/strong. Alot of guys say 6 weeks is required and also say it continues to get better with age like a year+. Planned to rest on counter but the girls complained. I was surprised myself how strong it was (4 hours cob). Due to this, I did uncovered overnight in fridge and vac sealed next day. I am not confident the overnight rest is critical but I bet if you vac sealed the cheese right away it would deform or smoosh (technical term). :D

escopeton

Joined Jul 17, 2005
I rested it in the fridge covered with plastic cling film. By the time, I got them in the house and sampled them, they had cooled down enough to wrap up.

wbf610

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 23, 2016
On the counter for a few to cool, then in the fridge overnight. I have also just vac packed after a brief cooling rest on the counter, and it was fine.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 23, 2012
Yes, don't be in a hurry to taste your smoked cheese. I'm currently consuming cheese that I smoked over a year ago. I would say that the soonest I would taste some cheese would be a good month after it was smoked. One needs to always plan in advance when it comes to smoked cheese.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks