Smoked Beef Heart and Tongue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FuturistOptimist

Original poster
Dec 27, 2017
I didn't see too many place online talking about smoked beef heart and beef tongue, but I gave it a go anyway... and boy did it come out great!
IMG_2350.JPG
IMG_2351.JPG
IMG_2348.JPG

I'm not into it personally, but my wife would give her eye teeth for that meal.

Point for sure.

Chris

Wow that looks good...I have not had tongue in years and years...my mom used to make tongue sandwiches for me when I was a kid...with onion, mayo and smoked cheese.

Reactions: HarleySmoker417
Thanks everyone! I was super pleased with how it came out. Wasn't sure what temp to cook the tongue to since we had already poached it so we could peel the skin off. Went to stick my thermometer in and it slid in like butter. Took it off then at around 157 if I remember correctly.

That looks fantastic! I've been thinking about smoking beef tongue for my Dad. He grew up on a farm in Lebanon, PA. and said he misses the way his grandmother prepared it.

I just got home with 2 hearts and 1 tongue, what were your steps like rub, temp, length of cook. My mother would boil tongue then grind it for sandwiches. Could you share your steps.
Dan

My wife eats beef heart and all she does is pan fry it. I bet I could toss it on the Kettle with some beef seasoning and take it up a notch. As for the tongue. My MIL used to do the same - boil it all day, but she would slice it up for sammies. I had to leave the house when she was cooking it, because it looked like something out of a Hannibal Lecter movie.

Chris

Edit: I meant beef heart is pan fried.

Last edited:
When you smoke heart, do you trim out the valves and chamber walls first, or do you leave them in? Do they breakdown, out start tuff and you just pick them out?

Both these cuts, but particularly tongue are VERY lean. Do you need to do anything to keep them from drying out? I've only braised or fried hearts and tongues.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky