Smoked 1st Time Turkey - 15lb

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ravage811

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 14, 2016
Utah
First attempt at smoking a turkey. Chose not to brine this bird, so last night we applied some Oakridge  BBQ Secret weapon rub to the bird, then placed in a roasting pan, and saran wrapped the bird and then back in the fridge it went over night.

For this smoke I am using Pecan BBQ Delight Pellets, Will plan on setting the Traeger at 275 and letting it go until IT hits 165. Then will pull off foil and let it rest for 45 min to an hour.

Saturday 11.5.2016

0820 - Fired up the Traeger, and preheated it to 275. and setup the Smoke to monitor the turkey remotely. Temp this morning is 36 F

0848 - Placed Turkey on the grill grate. IT of Turkey 39 F

0948 - IT Turkey 68 F ( Noticing that the Smoke is reading my pit temp 40 - 50 degrees lower than what the Traeger is displaying that the pit temp actually is) So according to the smoke I have been averaging my pit temps between 225 - 234 for this cook, where the Traeger is reporting pit temps between 266 - 281.

1048 - IT 103 Looks like things are going smoothly and will probably be done  well before I planned on expecting this to be done.

Well thanks for looking guys, just keeping my fingers things turn out ok.

Looks good so far!

How did it turn out?

Al
Thanks Al sorry got busy yesterday and forgot about this post. I can be my worst critique but everyone claims they enjoyed it. Was very tender and juicy with a great flavor.

This pic was at the 2.5 hour mark. Wife wanted to check the brownness of the turkey.

This last picture was the final turkey shot before it went to the foil to rest

As you can see not a whole lot of drippings from this bird, besides the butter that filled up the cavity. But over all the bird turned out pretty tender and juicy. Will see how things go on Thanksgiving will use a similiar method but will be smoking 2 smaller turkeys. Overall the total smoke for this 15lb bird was right around  5.5 hours.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky