Smoke turkey for work

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingearl

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Nicholasville
EF6ADFE7-DE01-4369-9B64-FC5295CED67A.jpeg
It’s Ok I llwas asked to get a turkey for the 6 of us at work. I got a 13 pounder.

All I did was clean and rinse it. No rub. Nothing. LoL.
Fired up the amps with 1/2 pitmasters choice and 1/2 corn cob pellets. Set the smoker at 255 at 6:45 o’clock pm tonight.
It’s 10:15 pm now and the bird is at 131 IT. I will keep watching and checking it until it gets to 175. (Should be around midnight). I’ll pull it, let it rest 25 minutes, then carve it and cover it in a foil pan and take to work tomorrow. We’ll have to microwave it to get our portions warm for eating. But last time I did this a few years ago they all told me it was the best they ever had.

I'd pull at 165 breast or even 160 breast because its going to travels a little. The lower you can safely pull it tonight the juicier it will be tomorrow after re-heating. I think the 175 IT is the using the thigh temp.

Good looking bird, your co-workers are in for a real treat.

Point for sure.
Chris

Nice looking bird! Curious why did you use AMPS over the factory chip tray? I will be smoking a Turkey for the 1st time in my MES40 tomorrow.

Nice looking bird! Curious why did you use AMPS over the factory chip tray? I will be smoking a Turkey for the 1st time in my MES40 tomorrow.

I like the amps, set it and forget it. Plus I like the blend of pellets I use that I can’t get with chips.

This bird looks beautiful and it's a great treat for your coworkers! I am wondering what time did you finish cooking your bird? Just trying to calculate how much time I have to spend while cooking #23 bird if I keep the same temp at 255F....

View attachment 380884 It’s Ok I llwas asked to get a turkey for the 6 of us at work. I got a 13 pounder.

All I did was clean and rinse it. No rub. Nothing. LoL.
Fired up the amps with 1/2 pitmasters choice and 1/2 corn cob pellets. Set the smoker at 255 at 6:45 o’clock pm tonight.
It’s 10:15 pm now and the bird is at 131 IT. I will keep watching and checking it until it gets to 175. (Should be around midnight). I’ll pull it, let it rest 25 minutes, then carve it and cover it in a foil pan and take to work tomorrow. We’ll have to microwave it to get our portions warm for eating. But last time I did this a few years ago they all told me it was the best they ever had.
Looks tasty!

This bird looks beautiful and it's a great treat for your coworkers! I am wondering what time did you finish cooking your bird? Just trying to calculate how much time I have to spend while cooking #23 bird if I keep the same temp at 255F....
Went in at 6:45 pm. Came out at 1:00 am
With the AMPS do you have any issues with air supply to the smoke doesn't die?
I pull the chip loader out to help with air, never dies out on me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky