Smoke time for two individual boston butts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinfam

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Indiana
If I have two 7 pound Boston butts, is the total smoke time for them together 7x1.5= 10.5 or 7x2x1.5=21 ?

You smoke time will be about the same for one as for two. The only influencing factor is thermal load on the initial loading of the smoker.

It could be 10 hours. Or, it could be 13 hours. Or, it could be 11.5 hours. The only way to know is to use a thermometer; and do you want to pull them or slice them? 185° for slicing, 205° is for pulling. Temperature with a tested, accurate thermometer is the prescribed method to tell. Generally, you'd be looking at 10-11 hours, but that is just a general guideline, not a given.

Yep, guidelines, ballpark, WAG, estimated, average and other synonyms.

A 5lb butt cooked between 225°-300° can take anywhere from 8-14 hours.
Inject it and it can take 12 plus hours.
Had a 9lb injected butt take 19hrs.

I did four butts the other week, three finished right about the same time, but the biggest one finished a good hour or more before the others.
Each hunk of meat can be very different due to so many variables.

I've two butts going in the smoker tonight, one is approx 6.25lbs and the other 8lbs.
They'll be done whenever they probe tender and no sooner.

Tenderness is everything, internal temp is a guideline and cooking time is simply noted after the cook.

As stated above they should be done fairly close to each other. Other factors include what temp your smoking at, shape of the butts, and how many times you open the cook chamber.

Chris

I've had two butts on one grate, nicely separated, finish in the same amount of time as one butt. Couple months ago I crowded two butts on a drip pan and they took 25% more time than one butt. The key word there is crowded.

Thanks. Reason I asked is because I have a family reunion today at 4pm. I put both butts in last night at 1030 at 220F. At 8am this morning, the internal temp is 156F.
So I've got 8 hours to go. Should I bump up the smoker temperature to help move things along?

Thanks. Reason I asked is because I have a family reunion today at 4pm. I put both butts in last night at 1030 at 220F. At 8am this morning, the internal temp is 156F.
So I've got 8 hours to go. Should I bump up the smoker temperature to help move things along?

Yes, I would go as high as 275* to 280*.

Chris

For comparison.

I put my two butts in the smoker last night at 8pm.
Smoker has been averaging 235° +/-2°.
Just now checked IT's, the smaller is 172° and the larger 167°.
I'm in no hurry... Let'em ride.

TWrOKYl.jpg

Last edited:
You should be fine, but just to be safe and have leeway for resting/pulling I'd either turn up the temp or crutch, or both.
I agree with Chris, 275°-300° should be just fine to finish them.

To hurry mine up, I might wrap it at the stall or turn my MES40 up to 275F...or both.

I prefer not to wrap it too long because it can taste steamed/blanched/crock-pot-ish.

If you get in a real time crunch - pop it in the oven at 350F in a covered pot. Your house will smell awesome.

I checked my smoking records and I did a 6.1 pound shoulder at 250F...turned up to 275F at 10.5 hours...done in 11.5 hours IT of 204 and passed the tender test

I also did a 7 pound butt at 280F...took 10.5 hours for an IT of 204 and passed the tender test

Done. Turned out excellent. 16 hours total.

Attachments

• 15400631702947388247324393004636.jpg
    15400631702947388247324393004636.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 7
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky