Smoke or deep fry the Turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Motorboat40

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 5, 2020
Crozet, VA
Can't decide if I want to smoke or deep fry the turkey this year? Maybe a dumb idea but has anyone every smoked it for and maybe and hour or so to get the smoke flovor into it then dipped it into the deep fry to finish it off? Maybe I should try that on a chicken 1st and see how it turns out. Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• fried-turkey.jpg
    fried-turkey.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 7
Ok thank guys I thought I had an original idea but looks like it's been done before! I will give it a try

Some don't like smoked turkey(I don't understand how) so I usually smoke one and fry one. Smoked always wins but they both come out awesome.
I haven't had deep fried in about 10 years but I remember it was the best turkey I ever had, smoked is awesome too thats why I was thinking to try doing both

I haven't had deep fried in about 10 years but I remember it was the best turkey I ever had, smoked is awesome too thats why I was thinking to try doing both

Birds are cheap your main cost in that is the $30 worth of peanut oil you gotta drop. I haven't personally ever tried it smoke-a-fried but I have done it with wings with good results. Don't think you can go wrong!

Reactions: Motorboat40
Fried after a couple hours smoke is the only way to go on a wild. Inject 1/4# per pound with strained herb butter prior to cooking. Makes shoe leather palatable.

I like fried turkey better than smoked, but as said above, the peanut oil is costly. And we wouldn’t use it except for the turkey. So it would take up a big spot in the fridge, for just one use per year. This year I’m smoking a brisket!
Al

Reactions: hardcookin
Maybe a bit more classic approach but with a kicked up twist. I use the rotisserie on the gas grill and a smoking tube. The rotisserie really helps create a very moist bird that is perfectly golden brown, with great skin! The smoker tube flavors the bird perfectly. Been a goto recipe for the last 15 years.

Smo-fried might have done one or a bunch of them lol

610e9581_DSC02059.jpg

81225b38_DSC02058.jpg

Those may have been the first I did and have done them almost every year since and most times multiple turkeys per year

Smofried does sound delicious. I am not physically up to the challenge of Deep Frying and I don't trust my SIL to do it without burning up Dinner and Himself!😆
I have to look into those Butterball Indoor Turkey Fryers...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky